Cable (flex) identification

Group:

I have a table lamp (purchased originally in the UK) about 12 years ago the flex (=US cord) is identified as "Sun Brand H03VVH2-F". I've googled Sun Brand and not found anything matching.

Can anyone tell me what the code H03VVH2-F means (or how to decode it) - I'm trying to find out the specification of the cable?

Cheers

Den

Reply to
Den

Why ?

Reply to
Gavin Parsons

I've moved from the UK where plugs are fused (primarily) to protect the cables from accidental overload in failure situations. I'm now in the US where the plugs are not fused as so the only fuse is at the breaker box .

As the (UK) fitted plug was fused at 3A (i.e. 700W), and the circuit breaker here in the US is 20Amp (i.e. 2300W) I want to make sure that cable is capable of taking a potentially higher failure current without bursting into flames or something else spectacular.

Den

Googling on just that code yields as the first hit

which says the conductors are either 0.50 mm^2 or 0.75 mm^2.

More Googling gives

which says that 0.50 mm^2 is a little thinner than 20 AWG and 0.75 mm^2 is between 20 and 18 AWG.

I think 18 AWG is the minimum size that can be generally used for cords on appliances designed for the US. Most of the table lamps in my house have 18 AWG cords. I have seen 20 AWG used on Yule lights, but these usually have a fuse in the plug (just like everything in the UK). Formerly, it was considered perfectly fine to plug the 18 AWG cord into an outlet protected by a 20 A breaker. Now there are requirements in the electrical code for "arc fault current interrupter" breakers on some household circuits, which are designed to detect and trip on faults like lamp cords shorting out.

In another thread, someone was looking for a US plug with internal fuse (like a UK plug). John Grabowski posted:

If you wanted to fuse the cord, the above plug might be a good option.

Another option would be to replace the entire cord on the lamp. Hardware stores commonly sell 18 AWG lamp cords in 6' (2m) lengths and various colors that already have a plug molded on the end. You just have to fish the new cord into the lamp and connect it to the socket. Or, buy some heavier lamp cord and a separate plug. You can get up to 14 AWG lamp cord fairly easily, but that size is so thick that it might be difficult to fish through the lamp. 16 AWG will probably fit.

I hope this helps!

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Matt

Thanks for this.

I'm not sure why - I just didn't think of googling the cable code! Duh!

Cheers

Den

Reply to
Den

BTW: Any idea how to decode the code?

Den

H = Harmonised (i.e. pan-European standard)

03 = 0.3 kV or 300V. (05 means 300/500V, 07 is 450/750V and 1 is 0.6/1 kV.) V = Conductor insulation is ordinary PVC V = The outer sheat is ordinary PVC H = Flat cable 2 = The two conductors can't be pulled apart. (You can on an typical American flex cord)

-F = (fine) stranded conductor for flexible cords.

/Clas-Henrik

Reply to
C-H Gustafsson

Clas-Henrik has provided it; I had no idea.

Some common US cord type codes are at

. I believe the names and codes are all defined in the National Electrical Code.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds