circuit conversion

I would like to convert a normal 15 amp circuit to a 30 amp circuit. I also need ot convert the wall plug over. If this is iin a commercial building that is over 30 years old will I need to do anything else besides swap out the breaker and install a new plug?

Reply to
cptkirkh

what gage (size) is the wire?

Reply to
TimPerry

Probably bigger wires. If you have to ask, then you are not qualified to do this work in a commercial building. I highly recommend that you hire a qualified electrician.

Ben Miller

Reply to
Ben Miller

Your question reveals a naivety that indicates you are in over your head. That is, what you want is readily achievable but should not be a do-it-yourself job until you learn much more. Pay a licensed electrical contractor to do it for you. That will greatly reduce the possibility of you earning a Darwin award.

Bill

-- Fermez le Bush--about two years to go.

Reply to
Salmon Egg

cptkirkh:

The circuit breaker protects the current-carrying capacity of the wire, not only the outlet.

You can't simply increase the breaker and expect to pump more current through wires that were originally sized for 15 amps -- this is dangerous. Potentially fire-and-injury dangerous.

The existing wire must be replaced with larger wire capable of handling 30 amps. Then replacing the breaker and outlet with appropriately-sized ones will complete the project.

It's also critical to properly ground the circuit.

Might be over your head. If you have any doubts, hire a pro to do it for you.

Good luck, Sparky

Reply to
SparkyGuy

That assumes the installed wire is not capable of 30 amps, which seems likely.

And, in a commercial building the wire is likely in conduit, so you would also have to keep an eye on conduit fill issues.

I concur here.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck