Codes for running conduit?

Hi, I will be running a circuit from fuse box to a lamp post. I have to cross my driveway that has already been dug up ( it was concrete and it will be concrete when finished). I have spoken to the senior inspector in Washington County Oregon and he said that if I want to run wire in a PVC underneath my concrete driveway it needs to be 24 inches in depth and 18 inches outside the concrete driveway. I hired a licensed contractor to do the work and they are telling me that it only needs to be 12 inches. What should I do? Thanks-

Reply to
Steelgut

AHJ always over rides your electricial.

Reply to
Brian

local inspector trumps contractor.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

2005 NEC Table 300.5 - Under streets, highways, roads, alleys, driveways and parking lots - Column 3 - Nonmetallic raceways listed for direct burial without concrete encasements or other approved raceways 24 inch depth.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Assuming they are following the NEC both may be wrong. 300.5 says under a residential driveway it is 18". The 12" would apply if this was on a GFCI from the line end and the 24" applies to a driveway in other than a residential setting.

Reply to
gfretwell

Paul look at the next row down

"One- and two-family dwelling driveways and outdoor parking areas, and used only for dwelling-related purposes"

18"
Reply to
gfretwell

Then the OP might be able to clarify exactly what sort of diveway this is with the inspector and whether the circuit is GFCI protected and qualify for the reduced coverage.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Very true. 90.4 if you want to see it in the 2005 NEC.

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

There both right but your contractors answer depends on the use of a GFCI to protect the underground portion of the circuit.

Reply to
Tom Horne, Electrician