Complete Bollox? Or...Was: what makes it a balun????

You seem to be remarkably ignorant about the containment of the fields within the coaxial cable, OM. Neither within the configuration of the coil nor in straight line sections of coax do the wanted signals contribute to any external fields (save, perhaps, in the case of leaky feeders).
The wanted currents just do not form any magnetic fields in the coil to be cancelled out!
Such ignorance would be an absolute disgrace if it was expressed by, say, one charged with the training of all candidates for Radio Hammery in Britland!
"Mrs.Nugatory's, The Minimum's, G3VKI's, M3OSN's and Mick Hunter's
> You seem to be remarkably ignorant about the containment of the fields

So how do YOU think the magnetic field is "contained"? You are keen to critise other's explanations, let us see yours.
Also, if there is no magnetic field do to the "wanted" (signal) currents, why are losses in baluns an issue? (That is one of the practical items I hinted at.)

This discussion is about the comments.....
" Conversely, the (wanted) signal currents (on the outside of the inner and inside of the outer) cancel out the magnetic fields they form in the coil and thus don't see it as an inductor."
.....which discuss non-existent fields.
The containment of the wanted fields within the coaxial cable is another, different, discussion.
By all means start another thread to discuss whatever cranky theory you have about those contained fields, but I think that you won't find anyone to support your pet theories!
As to "critise (sic) other's explanations", I have not criticised any other's explanation about the fields _WITHIN_ the coaxial cable, so your challenge is a Straw Man!
It is always possibly that I have misunderstood what you wrote, so, as the discussion is very much about what you wrote, perhaps you could explain your comments,.....
"Conversely, the (wanted) signal currents (on the outside of the inner and inside of the outer) cancel out the magnetic fields they form in the coil and thus don't see it as an inductor"
.....in a manner that is unambiguous? Then, perhaps, go onto another thread to discuss your theory that the contained fields differ in operation to all of the standard texts on the subject?
"Mrs.Nugatory's, The Minimum's, G3VKI's, M3OSN's and Mick Hunter's

So you don't have a better explanation, fair enough why didn't you just say so?
Until you come up with something better, mine seems to be the one in game.
Once again Chippenham is a Foot in Mouth, technical knowledge exclusion zone..................
By the way, I suggest you think about losses in the core of baluns.......................
"Mrs.Nugatory's, The Minimum's, G3VKI's, M3OSN's and Mick Hunter's

Or is this to be your "e^(-jwt) is a function that decreases with t increasing" all over again?
"Drub, drub, drub, M3 in a tub"

And so, as the Sun sinks slowly in the West, Brian Reay M3OSN, director of the RSCB, runs away with his tail between his legs. (_ONCE_ again!!!!!)
Perhaps it is no wonder the gangrenous degeneration of standards as represented by the M3/CB Fools' Licence scheme when the chief L.I.A.R. of the RSCB (a commercial book seller that vaunts itself, falsely, as the representative of all Radio Hams and Short Wave Listeners) is so mediocre both in his technical knowledge and in his standard of debate?
Perhaps it is no wonder the decline in social behaviour when he who is charged with the education of youngsters demonstrates such an infantile abusive role model if ever he is challenged?
Sic transit gloria Mundi.
"Mrs.Nugatory's, The Minimum's, G3VKI's, M3OSN's and Mick Hunter's

So how do you think the magnetic field is "contained" in a coaxial cable? You are keen to criticise other's offerings but offer nothing yourself.
Yet another complaint sent re your cross posting Gareth