Correct way to write 24 hour-time? Decimalpoint too.

In France railway timetables etc put an 'h' after the hours figure so

11 minutes past six in the evening is written 18h11 and pronounced "dix-huit heures onze"
Reply to
mike.j.harvey

18:11

Where did your 16 come from??

Broaden your mind.

In Engalnd we use a dot as the conventional decimal 'point' or poinr where the integer numbers end. On the Continent they conventionally (in some countries) use a comma.

Another fact is we tend to use the 'x' as the abscissa in England, and the 'y' for the ordinate. This is reversed in some countries on the continent.

The fundamental thing to do is to learn to understand what concept you are looking at or reading of, then the convention does not matter provided you can follow through the logic in terms of the convention the authore has used.

In maths we have a two fold use of the point.

It can be on the line or half way up and either way it indicates the integer stop point.

A dot can also indicate the arithmetical function ususally written as a 'x', multiplictaion.

The sexagesimal system of recording time, with 3'30''32

followed by a 'o' superscript, would read as 3hrs and 30 minutes 32 seconds AM. The same thing is indicated by 3:30:32, or by 03:30:32.

To translate it to decimal you divide the minutes by sixty, and the seconds by 3600 and add the results to the hours.

e.g. 3:30:32 = 3+(30/60)+(32/3600) = 3.509

In the 12 hour format the AM or PM should be used to indicate ante or post meridian. In the 24 hour format this is not necessary as the tme progress to the 13th hour etc. when the 1st hour post meridian is hit. In this case midnight is wrotten as 00:00:00.

Reply to
Billy H

confuses

Here in Europe we use 24 hour time a great deal.

Laymen and even old ladies both use it.

If you make a contention that applies only to the US then that's ok but that is not where I live.

Reply to
Alex Coleman

Hi Alex_Coleman, For myself, I write 18 hours 16 minutes after midnight as 6.16 P. If it was something that happened 18 hours 16 minutes ago, I write it as .761 days... ( 18 + 16 / 60 ) / 24 .

Reply to
Jeff…Relf

On a sunny day (Tue, 30 May 2006 00:11:46 +0100) it happened Alex Coleman wrote in :

Wel, i did some introspection, as European, if in the Netherlands at say 16:48h somebody askes you 'what time is it' (in Dutch: Weet U ook hoe laat het is?), I would reply with '12 voor 5' (12 to five). Because of the context people usually KNOW if it is morning or evening.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Maybe - but you wouldn't do that on the phone with someone calling from "het buitenland" :-)

C.

Reply to
Charles D. Bohne

But, as you are insane, you don't count. I am sure _you_ find it easier to write .761 days than 18 hours, 16 mins but I doubt even you would find it easier to think and communicate to others in that manner. ("I will meet you in .761 days" is just insane)

Reply to
T Wake

On a sunny day (Tue, 30 May 2006 15:32:35 +0200) it happened Charles D. Bohne wrote in :

We should all change to UTC 24h clock. And drop the anual time shifts for summer and winter time. You would get used to it fast.....

Earth is only so big.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

...and throw away 6B biological clocks?

Bit it's sooo round and only half of it lit up.

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Tue, 30 May 2006 10:15:53 -0400) it happened krw wrote in :

Yes that is the problem, I have a little program 'kworldwatch' (Linux) that displays a worldmap and shows where it is still light. A watch with a function like that (when all is UTC) would make sense.

OTOH when you call your boss from the 'other side', you get a tape that says: 'office hours from ww:xxh to yy:zzh', or he will use some sleepy bad language, or he will be happy with the new contract.

But in case of 'events' (phone conferences for example, meetings, etc..) it would make a lot of sense. And that annoying updating the watch on the plane stuff would be gone.

Jetlag would stay though.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Good for you. Its still crappy and slightly insane.Stop cross posting to groups that really aren't interested in you (which would mean pretty much all of USENET but you _still_ refuse to get a blog)

Are you rich yet?

Did you resolve your confusion over the spatial dimensions and my being an accountant?

Reply to
T Wake

So someone in Sydney might have office hours of 00:00h to 08:00h UTC and in London 08:00h to 16:00h UTC and NY office hours would be 13:00h to 21:00h UTC. How is that less confusing??

Okay, then when you land, the first thing you ask at the airport is, "What time to people here eat their noon meal, and when is 'normal' working hours?". The answer might be, "We tend to eat lunch about 20:00 and the bank is open from 17:00 to 01:00."

Yeah, that's a *lot* more convenient than resetting your watch..... *NOT*

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

On a sunny day (Tue, 30 May 2006 21:32:48 GMT) it happened "daestrom" wrote in :

You have not travelled a lot right? I have, and opining times, special holidays, local ways of doing things differ a LOT all over the world. And if you have a problem with day and night, there is this big nuclear powered indicator light in the sky.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Your solution doesn't solve any of those problems though. When communicating between time zones, the sun is a poor indicator of who is working when etc.

Reply to
T Wake

the correct answer would be 18:11

"Alex Coleman" skrev i en meddelelse news:Xns97D0A6DB6CBFB71F3M4@127.0.0.1...

Reply to
Starman

the correct answer would be 18:11

"Alex Coleman" skrev i en meddelelse news:Xns97D0A6DB6CBFB71F3M4@127.0.0.1...

Reply to
Starman

On a sunny day (Wed, 31 May 2006 22:15:00 +0200) it happened "Starman" wrote in :

Nice site, gives the date too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

| | Nice site, gives the date too.

Serverproblemer Vi beklager. Vi har i øjeblikket problemer med en server. Vi arbejder på højtryk for at løse problemet, så websitet kan komme op igen snarest.

Tak for din tålmodighed!

Reply to
The Sorcerer

Nee: Der tages forbehold for ukorrekte datoer og klokkeslæt på denne hjemmeside. It works! C.

Reply to
Charles D. Bohne

| >Serverproblemer | >Vi beklager. Vi har i øjeblikket problemer med en server. Vi arbejder på | >højtryk for at løse problemet, så websitet kan komme op igen snarest. | >

| >Tak for din tålmodighed! | >

| Nee: Der tages forbehold for ukorrekte datoer og klokkeslæt på denne | hjemmeside. | It works! | C.

Now it does. I haven't a clue what that double dutch means, but I think there was a server problem with the site when I tried to access it. ;-) This one is a little nicer:

Androcles.

Reply to
The Sorcerer