crimping wires to battery clips

Hello,

I've got 2 pairs of very high quality booster cable battery clips and I'm fixing 2 gauge welding cables to them. WHat's the best way to crimp it? The only part in the climp to crimp the wires are the U shape copper piece near the 'teeth' of the clamps. I've used pliers to bend the U shape copper piece to fold down and press onto the exposed copper of the cable. There no where else on the clip where I can crimp the cables. Should I also solder the wires on now? Is there a possibility of copper oxidizing and the contact becoming bad after years?

Thanks.

Reply to
Brian Su

You are usually better off buying a bolted, set screw lug. You can really make a good connection that way and if the wire gets damaged at the lug you can cut off an inch or so and reconnect it.

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
Brian Su

You don't have a flat surface anywhere on the clamp where you could drill and bolt a lug?

Reply to
Greg

If you are worried about oxidation, you could silver solder the ends before lugging them to the clips. That's how it's done in plating shops where they use welding cable to connect to the rectifiers. I know of at least one installation where the connections are still good after 6 years of some of the nastiest chemistry!....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac