Link to BBC film clips

RM (non-savable) clips of railway interest - Probably been posted before but . . .

Reply to
Mike

But doesn't work perhaps?

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

Oh yes it does! Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Uh? Works fine here. The one near the end with loose shunting was interesting for the speed of operation.

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

wrote

Has anyone tried 'saving' these clips by recovering the download from 'Temporary Internet Files' or do they just play as they download?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

If it is any help, I "right clicked" on the name of the clip and then "saved target as" to a folder. Properties shown as an html document but played back OK when opened.

I am using Windows XP.

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman

This works

Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

"Rob Kemp" wrote

Thanks Rob.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yup, wouldn't work last night on three browsers, but fine now. Thanks for the encouragement.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes

We had a client who wanted to do this and collected several ways to do it. I dont think we knew about that one (this was a year or two back). We came up with the following techniques . . .

Summary of all techniques for saving RealMedia from the BBC website. A file on a website with a .ram or .asx or .m3u extension is just a pointer to the actual media file(s) location. (filename.ram for streaming Real Media, filename.asx for streaming Windows Media and filename.m3u for mp3) The following techniques work on a Win98 machine with the K-Lite Mega codec pack v1.35 installed.

installs plugins to enable me to play RealMedia files in Internet Explorer and Firefox and also installs Media Player Classic v6.4.8.4 to play RealMedia files from the HD. Techniques:

  1. Search C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files
  2. Locate the .rm file from the downloaded .ram file.
  3. Locate the .rm file from the browser plugin.
  4. Un-associate filetypes
  5. Real7ime Converter (R7C) v1.1
  6. Net Transport v1.94c ---------------------------
  7. Delete the contents of C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files then run the streaming media file from it's host site. Now open C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files and with any luck you will find the .rm file. This also works for other non-saveable stuff such as Shockwave/Flash. ---------------------------
  8. Download the .ram file. Rename the filename extension to .txt to allow it to be read by a plain text editor such as Notepad. example: filename.ram renamed to filename.txt Open the file in Notepad. The location of the ACTUAL media file should be in plain text. (Note. The filename extension should be .rm) Copy and paste the address into your browser. You should be offered the option to Open or Save the file. Example: Download dds.ram from the following address:
    Rename to dds.txt and open in Notepad. You should see the following line of text.
    Copy this line of text to your browser, and Save the file to your HD. ---------------------------
  9. Click on a link on the BBC site to run a RealMedia file, for instance anything on this page:
    will run the RealMedia file using a plugin in a new browser window. This gives the option to run in a stand alone player. Hover your mouse over 'Launch this in a standalone player' and the location of the .ram file is now shown (You may need to maximise the window to see it) For instance:
    Download the .ram file. Rename the filename extension to .txt to allow it to be read by a plain text editor such as Notepad. Open the file in Notepad. The location of the ACTUAL media file should be in plain text. rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/nationonfilm/nb/00377_4x3_nb.rm Unfortunately, the address starts rtsp: (Real Time Streaming Protocol) ---------------------------
  10. Open up Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) and click View, then Folder Options. Then click the "File types" tab and remove the file association for RealMedia files. This causes windows to ask you to either Open the file from its current location or Save it to disk whenever it encounters a .rm file. When you're done downloading just add the file type association for RealMedia .rm files to automatically play in RealPlayer. Some systems do this automatically. ---------------------------
  11. Real7ime Converter (R7C) v1.1 is a converter of any RealPlayer streaming medias (video and sound) to AVI/WAV/MP3 format. It is a realtime converter because it does not manage Real Time Streaming Protocol(tm) (RTSP) directly so the needed time to convert a media will be greater or equal to the time of the media. Homesite:
    ---------------------------
  12. Net Transport v1.94c is a download manager that supports RTSP (Real-Time Streaming Protocol) Homesite:

HTH

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Ah - This is shareware, we only do free stuff

) which is why we didn't have it on our standard list. Sorry about that chaps.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Or, try Googling for Streambox VCR / Streambox Ripper. It's also posted regularly on usenet, but I can't remember what group(s) at the moment. SB VCR will download BBC .rm files very fast over broadband. SB Ripper will convert .rm audio to .wav or .mp3; there's a WinAmp plug-in too.

Streambox was closed down by Real Media, but there are still copies of the programs floating around.

P.S. It isn't necessary to change .ram to .txt to read with Notepad. Either use Notepad's File Open menu (select All Files), or add a Notepad shortcut to your "SendTo" folder, then right-click on the file in Explorer and select Send To -> Notepad.

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

SB VCR will download BBC .rm files very fast over broadband. SB Ripper will convert .rm audio to .wav or .mp3; there's a WinAmp plug-in too.

Martin S.

Will this take the sound track from a DVD and do the same? If not, any suggestions? I have a music DVD and fancy doing this.... just for myself that is, so I can play in the car etc.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Any DVD ripper/authoring program can extract the audio file as an .mp3, which can be burned to CD as is, or converted to .wav and burned as an audio CD. For example, Nero or TMPGEnc, or various free apps.

Try

or

MartinS

Go to alt.binaries.sounds.radio.bbc and look for the post headed "Faq for recording BBC radio shows". Last posted Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:00:17 +0100.

Reply to
MartinS

Martin, Excuse my ignorance in not replying sooner, shift work and guarding get in the way. I had a look at your suggestions, but could only find MP4 ? which I have not come across. Will my MP3 players cope with MP4 which I am guessing is the next progression ?

Andy

"MartinS" wrote

Any DVD ripper/authoring program can extract the audio file as an .mp3, which can be burned to CD as is, or converted to .wav and burned as an audio CD. For example, Nero or TMPGEnc, or various free apps.

Try

or

Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

The latest version of WinAmp will handle MP4.

Reply to
MartinS