Fan Motor Application Engineer/ IN

TOM GUGGER INDEPENDENT RECRUITER snipped-for-privacy@bex.net 419-537-9447

FAN MOTOR APPLICATION ENGINEER/ IN

Our client has an opening for a fan motor application engineer. This person will interact (usually by phone) with clients from various geographical areas, so both written and verbal skills are important. You will be solving customer problems.

This is a full time career position with a major manufacturer. Full benefits are offered for the right person. This is of course, an on-site position. It is located in the Fort Wayne, Indiana area, one of the lowest cost of living areas in the US. (

)

If after reading the description below, you are both interested and qualified, email your resume to snipped-for-privacy@bex.net and include your salary requirement.

Essential Functions (Responsibilities): Work closely with HVAC Fan Application engineering team, plants and customers to support and drive application-engineering projects for all fan motors.

  • Design fractional hp single phase induction motors and ECM for use in heating, ventilation and Air Conditioning market
*Work with Major HVAC customers to support them on existing and new product designs and applications
  • Learn customer application and design customer samples to meet their application needs using exiting math model
  • Work with the global application engineering team to improve the communication and support for local NA customers
  • Work with the plant team to support them on product issues and changes.
  • Review manufacturing capability, and field failure data to verify and improve delivered product quality and performance.
  • Review and approve all application engineering changes relating the fan business.
  • Participate with the project team to generate and drive product improvement Ideas and cost out projects

Qualifications/Requirements:

  • B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
  • 1 to 5 years experience with design and application of fractional and small integral HP AC motors.
  • Able to work with a global team to support NA customers
  • Evident enthusiasm, adaptability, initiative, creativity, ownership, and problem solving skills.
  • Strong interpersonal, oral, and written presentation and communication skills.
  • Excellent PC skills and experience with Microsoft Office Applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.

Desired:

  • Six Sigma trained, experience with statistical analysis, and Green Belt Certified.

Tom Gugger

I am not sure what "Six Sigma trained" really means. If I take what I think it means it is nonsense. If a potential employer really means it, I would run the other way. It is most likely that it is a phrase used to match some misbegotten Government program trying to reach perfection. The kind f thing that might give accuracy to six sigma might be the wavelength emitted by some low pressure gas discharge tube.

It reminds me of the quality control cargo cult bubble days when hot-shot managers were trying to emulate Japanese quality by mouthing W E Deming's 14 points while carrying out policies in direct contradiction to at least seven of these points. These hot-shots obviously never read Deming's publications.

In these hard economic times you can expect updated and meaningless panaceas to be proposed at a great rate by dumbo managers trying to strike it rich with little work or talent. When the shit finally hits the fan you can be sure that it will be the little guy managed by these clowns that gets hurt most.

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Six Sigma is an ancient management fad started by (iirc) Motorola back in the '80s. The central idea isn't a bad one--if you try to get your processes under tight enough control that just about everything works the first time, the rework saving and quality improvement will more than pay for the effort required.

All the pseudo-mathematical gewgaws they hung on it (4 ppm fallout, for example) assumed that everything can be boiled down to one number which is Gaussian out to at least 6 sigma, which is of course complete nonsense on both counts. Of course the sensible bit got totally hidden by the encrustations years ago.

Yup.

Yup again. And the shareholders.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That followed their miserable quality problems in the consumer electronics division that they sold to Matsushita in the '70s, along with their Quasar brand name. Their problems were so bad that they had a little over 110% failure rate, meaning that the failures were more than one per unit, on average. the assembly line tools were decades out of date, the test equipment was failing, and there was no employee training to keep their skills up to date. Matsushita shut the plant down to modernize it, retrained the workers, and dropped the assembly line failures to less than the industry average in under six months.

The last few years that Motorola ran the plant a dealer didn't dare deliver a new TV in a sealed carton, because they knew it would have problems. Most ran them for at least a week in their showroom in an attempt to shake out the infant mortality problems.

And now we have ISO 9001 to ensure that level of quality. In the paperwork. The UL ISO 9001 audits were sick jokes. Somehow, I managed never to be audited at my bench. I had told my boss, the Manufacturing Engineers and the head of manufacturing that I would hand the test procedure to the auditor and tell them to show me how to do my job, and that if they couldn't do it, they had no business auditing my work.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Brr. Good to know the background a bit better. There were some low-hanging fruit there, for sure.

You'd have wound up being found 'noncompliant' in more ways than one. I'm with you on that one, though I'd probably do it by the Socratic Method--"Gee, Mr. Auditor, I'd love to know how to do my job with more Quality. Could you show me the Quality way to disenfrozzle these defective framnitzes? I wish I were smart like you!" That way I'd get the point across while (probably) keeping my job.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I wasn't worried about my job. I was the only employee left in the company that could do a lot of jobs. They knew that they had laid off or fired everyone in engineering, and production who knew anything about any design over two years old. they also knew they didn't have enough people left to relearn the older products. I got what I wanted, though. When they first adopted ISO 9001, the idiot they hired to get them certified froze all test procedures, and almost everything I worked on could not be tested by the current documentation. IOW, there was no way in hell that anyone could pass any of those dozens of different modules, and comply with the defective paperwork.

We had some computer controlled test fixtures, and I was the only one who could troubleshoot it and keep it running. The 'engineer' who designed and built it didn't finish the software, and refuse to work on his mess. I was informed that engineering built fixtures, they didn't fix them. A manual test for that board was a day and a half, and the automated fixture was 15 seconds, so the boss was more than happy to let me spend three days fixing it. Then I finished the software, and added additional tests to verify it's calibration every time it ran. After that, I forced a change for engineering writing all test procedures, to requiring them to sign off changes written on the floor. No longer did the test procedure require test equipment that wasn't available to the module & test line, and tests were laid out in a logical order, rather than having to repeat the same step three or more times. Unrealistic test limits were changed, as well. like one that had a +/- 1% limit, testing the total series resistance of a 5% tolerance resistor and a 10% tolerance pot.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

But the problem with "Six Sigma trained" is that it demands its practitioners to know the proper buzzwords. You can understand the principles behind S.S., have been implementing the better parts of it since before Motorola invented it, understand statistical process control, etc., etc. But if you don't know the buzzwords, you are not what the employer wants.

What puts everyone off things like Six Sigma is that one always has to plow their way through management ass-kissers that are skilled in the ways of making their monthly stats come out smelling like a rose. But the work they turn out is found to be crap. Once they've been promoted to the next job up the ladder and the new guy fins the filing cabinet full of doctored records.

What's a Green Belt? I prefer suspenders.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.