Feedback suppressors

Hi:

Has anyone here have actual EXPERIENCE using a "feedback suppressor" in the PA system? I have seen ads for them and the look like they might be better than slide bread.

BUT it seems to me that the echo CANCELER (not suppressor) used in telephone work might also be effecting. (I haven't seen ads for the echo canceler for PA use.)

(The feedback suppressor is supposed to have a bank of digital tuned filters which are tuned and inserted into the look by the "brains" of the box. The echo canceller calculates an electronic model of the complete loop and electronically cancels the loop gain back to the source.)

I have already tried a music group without any luck.

Thanks

jlg

Reply to
John Gilmer

yes they can be. they can make a difficult job less stressful, however they are not the be all end all.

anything that helps break the feedback loop will be effective, BUT a phase shifter or delay unit can also drive a vocalist wild. these would be best employed in fixed instillations like lecture rooms or church pulpit.

try a google groups search of alt.pro.live-sound. the discussion has been extensive.

i have a small stack of them mostly Sabine FBX 900 and 901 also the Behringer shark and Behringer feedback destroyer. product can be reviewed here

(current models are 1200 and 2400)

for me their greatest value is on the stage monitor mix. they are also quite effective in live broadcast applications (where the live audience needs PA speakers). they can really shine in theater where the sound guy is fighting a set of problems that most people just don't realize the difficulty of.

i will be using one tomorrow for a charity event.

Reply to
TimPerry

From my days of old I can offer this advice. Pink noise and a "good" RTA. I suggest a Audio Control SA-3051 and a Klark Teknik DN 360 or the new DN 370. Remember nothing replaces your ears. Good luck.

[...]

Brian

Thanks.

But: 1) it's not my "job," I just want to bring some sound recomendations to some other folks; and 2) WTF is an "RTA?"

Reply to
John Gilmer

Well, that's what I was curious about. I saw one for $100 at "Musician's Friend." That's low enough that I might buy one from my own pocket and present it as a gift. But I don't want to waste my money or waste the time of the volunteer technicians who would have to fool around with my "bright idea."

Well, the echo canceller would not introduce any delay: it would just sample the transmitted signal and add to it a "processed signal" which would cancel the effects of the echo return.

Seems to me that a feedback suppressor would have to have enough delay to implement a notch filter. I have never "done the math" but it seems to me that it would take about 10 cycles of signal delay to implement a respectible notch filter. But that's only about 20 ms or so. The equivalent of the room being 10 feet longer.

I found a NG alt.audio.pro.live-sound to which I have just subscribed. I will take on chance of getting flamed and to a quick post.

Thanks

Reply to
John Gilmer

recomendations

RTA = real time analyzer; a box with a bunch of blinky lights = see goldline

(not for use by beginners)

for real high end wizzerdry look up smaartlive :)

Reply to
TimPerry

RTA = Real time analyzer. Most of the good ones are 30-31 band with different sample rates.

I have used notch filters before and thought they were a waste of time and money for mid sized (1000-5000 people) venues.

As for digital delay the largest quantity of time I ever used was 400ms. Most singers and MC's hate any more than 100ms. Time aligning monitors with the PA takes patience and a little math if you have the right formula.

[...]

an echo canceller will neither prevent feedback nor will it even cancel echoes in a live venue.

a short burst of feedback is better then long sustained and repeated bursts of feedback

Reply to
TimPerry