flyrockets.com feedback?

What do you mean by solid? How would the NAR and TRA get these solid numbers?

I know of a whole town here in WA state that welcomed us to area for a launch after watching the show. We now have a new launch site with a 20,000 foot waiver and the mayor brought the donuts!

steve

Reply to
default

It's over 6 months since the DIscovery Channel and the FlyRockets.com commercials. Any one from either NAR or TRA have any solid feedback on how many new members were generated by this investment?

Bob Kaplow

I'd like to see the web stats for the previous months just to see what's been up since the Popular Mechanics ad ran. Was it money well spent? I don't think we'll ever get a good statistical feel for that. It was however money well spent in a show of rocketry solidarity!

Joel. phx

waiver and the mayor

Reply to
Joel Corwith

From the number of unrecognized people showing up at our club launches and at the local rocketry shop, I would have to say YES! it was successful. I met a handful of people at each launch that were new to our club that actually mentioned the TV Show and the website.

I am also pretty happy with the number of people I run across that are now familiar with our hobby because of the show. I would say about 50% of the strangers I talk to about the hobby mention seeing it on TV and most specifically mention the Discovery Channel. I have directed many people to the website. Whether or not they actually go there is anyone's guess. However it is a great resource to directed interested parties to. It is kind of a "portal" or "gateway" to positive information about our hobby.

Others may have a different opinion but for my money (literally), it was WELL worth it.

Mark A Palmer TRA 08542...L3

Mark A Palmer

I agree and that is telling.

If HPR were primarilly lone ranger as it used to be sales would be astonishing right now.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

We are back at 2001 levels...I think it helps.. we need to do more of this national stuff though to take this up a notch,, B

<locprecision

Yeah, you would be shipping "model aircraft parts" all over the place!

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

The rocket challenge TV show all on it's own, increased google searches for Model Rocket , Rocket and Amateur Rocket each time it was shown.

Some web vendors translated this into direct sales as well.

At least two local members joined because of the TV show, and close by clubs also got new members.

We need more rocket TV shows, then commercials however.

The TV shows need to have people with NAR, TRA, or Flyrockets pepered all over the place, and on T-Shirts for more bang on the buck.

almax

I did.

Go!

Have I ever said that before?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Times change, deal with it.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Everybody is. Involuntarily.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I've seen a lot of T-shirt images blured out on TDC. That sucks.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Bruce Lee said at the beginning of May that Discovery Channel is obligated by contract to show the Rocket Challenge 54 more times this year. I have no idea if they have to show all three hours 54 times or just broadcast 54 hours total.

This doesn't guarantee that the shows will be shown anywhere close to prime time when we would get the most exposure.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Membership forms etc were coded to trace back to the web site. I'd hope that after investing over $70K someone would track the actual results from the ad campaign. If it generated $300K in new memberships, it's a resounding success. Even if it breaks even, it's a success because of the other business it generates. But if it brought NAR/TRA a combined 100 (or less) members, then there's lots beter ways for us to be spending our money.

Bob Kaplow

Web stats mean little. What counts is when someone ACTS on those visits, by joining NAR and/or TRA.

Bob Kaplow

An excellent point. The only URL I recall seeing displayed during the actual show was behing the Mosquito swarm for Estes!

Bob Kaplow

But the advertizing time was purchased just for the November/December airings. Reruns won't have the ad unless we put up another $70K. My question is "was it worth it" and "is it worth doing again".

A better solution is to have the "product placement" show up in the show itself, instead of in a 15 second commercial crammed into one of the breaks.

Bob Kaplow

Hmmmm, not necessarily true. If it takes $70K to bring in 100 positive new dues paying members, and the FlyRockets campaign turns out to be the best way possible, then it is the ONLY way for us to spend our money.

Short of a $70K marketing analysis, you're not going to know, in dollars, if we spent our money "the best way."

steve

Reply to
default

it would be WRONG to buy rubber stamps for a few bucks and stamp your money with a message like:

(be sure to scroll down on the link above for one of mine!)

(links don't seem to work today, bummer)

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

I know:

We have club members who make "victims" for TV shows (you know, the dead, burned guy in the elevator on some detective show...). Let's have the dead guy wear a T-shirt with

on it.

Too late to have geeky, college age Ross Geller playing with rockets during a Friends flashback sequence.

How about bumper stickers? It could be like Flash Friday (tm).

-Fred "blow me up Tom" Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter