frayed electrical wire behind kitchen stove/microwave PLEASE HELP

Ive just moved into a 95' home and attempted to replace the hood over the range with a microwave. I disconnected the hood, cut an opening for
the box and was attempting to install the box when i realized that the drywall was broken open enough and i couldnt lock the paddles in place to secure the box. I called a friend who had recently done this and he told me to screw a drywall screw through the box into the side of the 2x4 behind the wall. when i did this the threads on the screw frayed the insulation to either the range or hood wire that was stapled to the
2x4. Im not sure which one and there doesnt appear to be any damage to the wire itself. Is there any repair i can make to this or will i have to rip everything out to replace the wire? Please Help!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Note: this has an answer in alt.home.repair.
Nicking the insulation in a Sheetrock wall is not good but is no big deal if the copper in the hot wire is not touching metal. If you have installed the wiring correctly, and the hot wire is touching metal then the breaker will trip. I would suggest before putting power on the box take an ohm meter and check between the hot wire on the breaker and ground. If if reads infinity then there should be no problem. If it reads near 0 then yes you have to tear it out..
You should, of course, remove the screw that you nicked the insulation with.