GE Undercabinet Fluorescent Light Recall CPSC #99-112

I see that an Ultra Thin Line Fluorescent light fixture (model 27278) that I had bought at Home Depot for my kitchen remodeling job (some time way back) is subject to a CPSC recall (#99-112) due to being "improperly assembled". I tried calling the GE 800# on the recall notice but the number is no good. Coincidentally, I see the same product is being openly sold on E-bay to this day. I also notice that the retail package for my fixture has a green "dot" label as if it had been subject to some inspection. Is anyone familiar with this recall. Was it simply some obvious wiring error that I will see upon installing it?

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Does anything here help?

Dean Hoffman

Thats where I first learned of the recall. The GE 800# is no good.

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

I don't know the specifics of that recall, but the problems that I have seen in similar ones involved reversed line/neutral, improper grounding, pinched wires, or undersized wires.

I would recommend that you remove the fixtures and obtain replacements (free). If GE doesn't cooperate, contact the CPSC. They should also be able to get you the appropriate contact information.

Reply to
Ben Miller

I once had an under counter light of a different make and model whose ballast went up in smoke. Fortunately it was on turn on as I often leave those on at night or when I am out.

As a follow up, I called 1-800 GE LIGHT and after several different prompts, I picked >

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**