GE Undercabinet Fluorescent Light Recall CPSC #99-112

I see that an Ultra Thin Line Fluorescent light fixture (model 27278) that I had bought at Home Depot for my kitchen remodeling job (some time
way back) is subject to a CPSC recall (#99-112) due to being "improperly assembled". I tried calling the GE 800# on the recall notice but the number is no good. Coincidentally, I see the same product is being openly sold on E-bay to this day. I also notice that the retail package for my fixture has a green "dot" label as if it had been subject to some inspection. Is anyone familiar with this recall. Was it simply some obvious wiring error that I will see upon installing it?
--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:

Does anything here help? http://tinyurl.com/2nybhd
Dean Hoffman > wrote:

Thats where I first learned of the recall. The GE 800# is no good.
--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

I don't know the specifics of that recall, but the problems that I have seen in similar ones involved reversed line/neutral, improper grounding, pinched wires, or undersized wires.
I would recommend that you remove the fixtures and obtain replacements (free). If GE doesn't cooperate, contact the CPSC. They should also be able to get you the appropriate contact information.
I once had an under counter light of a different make and model whose ballast went up in smoke. Fortunately it was on turn on as I often leave those on at night or when I am out.
As a follow up, I called 1-800 GE LIGHT and after several different prompts, I picked one for a recall for some built in ovens and spoke to Linda who appeared familiar with the recall and offered to send a replacement to me. I bought mine several years ago at Home Depot in anticipation of a kitchen project that I am just now getting to. It is interesting that an e-bay seller has a ton of these for sale. I notified the seller who acknowledged I was correct about the recall. I hope that manufacturers go to the trouble to destroy recalled stocks and not put them out to auction, but I digress!
Ben Miller wrote:

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"