Generator dimensioning

Hi,
I have a rapid creek that passes through my yard and I want to leverage that with a dynamo and generate some free electricity to
supply my house (EU 220VAC).
What are the formulas that I can use (or any guidance) to estimate the type of motor I will need for this ?
Thanks/Brgds Joo
Joao wrote:

I would say build the mechanical part and see how much mechanical energy you can get out of it and just experiment with the generator. I've seen automotive alternators, AC induction motors, permanent magnet DC motors, and custom built generators driven by this sort of thing. All have advantages and disadvantages and all are capable of producing useful output.
Hi,
I have a rapid creek that passes through my yard and I want to leverage that with a dynamo and generate some free electricity to supply my house (EU 220VAC).
What are the formulas that I can use (or any guidance) to estimate the type of motor I will need for this ?
Thanks/Brgds Joo
Key: 1) Learn how a Generator Work with heavy load first!
So you won't make big mistake like idiots here trying to solve a 2-day project in 6 months without a result.
Start off with your car alternator, older car better so you don't ruin your car, learn how to increase its load, using Marine Battery. Do you know how to make your battery sucks more AMP? 40A is good. Then you will see how it affect your car's power, etc.. compare load with your household load etc..
I understand a low head unit will still require about 10 feet of head to actually prodcue valuable energy levels. Speed of the stream may not be a big factor.
Hi,
I have a rapid creek that passes through my yard and I want to leverage that with a dynamo and generate some free electricity to supply my house (EU 220VAC).
What are the formulas that I can use (or any guidance) to estimate the type of motor I will need for this ?
Thanks/Brgds Joo

I agree, if you increase the gen' magnet power intelligently (only in motion) than its spinning speed will slow down, it will slow down even more when load is applied.