How do cell phones work

My nephew and I were watching the new movie Buried 2010. A US citizen working in Iraq as a truck driver is buried alive. Near the end of
the movie he records his last will on a cell phone. Does a cell phone non volatile memory for storing video? I say no, but he doesn't believe me. If the phone is found a year from now, the video will be lost. Correct?

It's digitally recorded and can be retrieved 50 years from now if need be, battery power is not necessary to save it. You just have to power the phone or pop out the SD card and stick it in an SD slot on a computer (or such) to read it.

Wow. He was right........again. :) Thanks