How many times can I split a cable TV connection?

I have the cable coming into the house through a splitter, one to the computer for cable modem, the the other part runs the cable for the house. One runs to the TV room, the other to a bedroom. I have the cable run into the VCR, then the output into the TV, it's connect this way so I can record TV shows on specific channels. But I've noticed the picture quality is poor unless I run the cable directly to the TV.

So my idea is to split the cable, one into the VCR, the other into the TV in both rooms. How do I know if this will degrad the power too much?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Peter

You can get a good amp from the cable company and boost it all up. Should have at most 2 splitters in front of a set (only 1/4 the power) 3 is too much loss

Reply to
Dana

In the old days we would dasiy chain up to 3 outlets, 2 worked better. Now everything I have seen is one outlet one run from the orginal splitter.

You can get an amp and boost the signal, most will boost the static as well. If you not using HDTV you will probably be ok boosting one run for a couple of outlets.

Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
Jimmie

You can use splitters or you can use taps. Taps are rated in insertion loss (db) and typically attenuate the signal less than a splitter would. This is how the pros wire multiple connections to offices and hospital rooms.

Blonder-Tongue is one such company that sells this stuff. There are others as well.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

OK, thanks for everyone's help. Maybe I'll try going with an amp.

Reply to
Peter

And with the amp they won't be able to "see" any connections after it so you won't get charged for extra TV connections.

Al

Reply to
Al

Does anyone have a website for a good amplifier?

since the cable is split up outside the house, I may just take the cable that runs into the bedroom and plug that into the amp, then take two outputs, one into the VCR and the other directly into the TV. So this way I'll have the best of both worlds.

Thanks

Reply to
Peter

Just remember amp doesnt work with a cable modem or anything where 2 way signal path is required.

Reply to
Jimmie

Oh, yes they do!! If the right type of line amp is used.

My house has a cable amplifier and when my cable modem was origionally installed it was wired to the input side of the amp.

Cable modem performance was marginal and pretty much unusable. The second cable company tech moved modem cable to the amplifier output and everything worked.

Bear in mind that your Pay-Per-View has to communicate with your cable provider and it communicates through the amplifier also.

I have no explaination for how the amplifier is bi-directional, but it is.

ARM

Reply to
Alan McClure