How to flash an AC generator

Hi John, just to say thank you for yours and the groups input on this. I replaced the capacitor on the generator today with a new one and fired up the engine. The generator came up straight away and I got a good steady 240V output.

Reply to
Classic-Car-World Ltd

Great! Glad to hear.

John

-- John De Armond See my website for my current email address

Neon John

Hoorah. Congratulations. I'm glad to hear you got it working.

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
Tom Horne

Hi Guys, I've just had cause to put the newly rebuilt generator to work this week. I was sitting on my computer as I do one evening when everything went black in the world around me. We had lost our mains supply to the complete area and everyone was in darkness.

Well this was the moment I must have been waiting for!! I carefully ran down the stairs with a cry of don't worry we have a Generator and proceeded to the garage. A couple of minutes later we had lights running of extension leads and at least we could see. The power was out for almost an hour but I was quite smug in the thought that my back up plan had come into use so soon after rebuilding the generator. I was like a dog with two tails!! :o) Unfortunately the half cooked roast dinner in the oven had to wait until the main power came back on. :o(

The next stage I think will be to install a socket via an isolator switch which will enable me to isolate the lights circuits in the house from the mains and plug the generator directly in to avoid the need to have lead lamps and extension leads running everywhere.

Thanks again for everyone for their input in getting the generator up and running.

Reply to
Classic-Car-World Ltd

'Tis sweet, isn't it? Hope your neighbors saw the light which makes it even better.

I have my cabin set up with a manual transfer switch but still use a roll-out generator, an artifact from before I retired and moved here to my mountain cabin permanently. I didn't want a generator outside permanently where it could get stolen.

Last August there was a scheduled outage that was supposed to be for 4 hours for a substation upgrade but ended up stretching to over 15. We had warning so I rolled my generator out, hooked up the cables (power and remote starter) and was ready. When the lights went out, I threw the switch, hit the starter and viola! My lights and most importantly, my AC and wellpump were back in action. Later that evening I DID cook supper on my electric stove.

Next morning I went down to the general store for the morning chat'n'chew. I pulled up on my electric scooter which was silent. I heard my loud-mouth neighbor running his mouth to the proprietor, bitching about how that SOB neighbor of his was the only place up there that had lights last night. I slipped through the screen door and let it slam loudly behind me. Loud-mouth jumped and when he turned around he looked like the cat caught in the canary cage. Had I bought the generator with a MasterCard, it could have been

1 7kw generator $1,800 2 7 gallon tanks of fuel $50

Pissing off your neighbor Priceless!!!!!

John

-- John De Armond See my website for my current email address

Neon John

Hi John, yeah it was sweet in a smug sort of way. There was only us an a mate up the road who had lights. He's a builder and he also had a generator which he uses when he's on site. Everywhere else was flickering candles. I've did have some comments from friends & neighbours but all in a friendly banter sort of way.

Cheers

Reply to
Classic-Car-World Ltd