How to read code from P87C750?

[snip]

The Netronics ELF II was rad-hard. (Hard to use for radian math.) :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELF_II
--
Don Kuenz

On 12/14/2012 6:49 PM, John Larkin wrote:

The RCA 1802 was the champ for rad-hard applications such as spacecraft, for a long long time.
Cheers
Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

IIRC, they had a Silicon-on-Saphire version for rad-hard applications.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 19:23:51 -0500, Phil Hobbs

CMOS static cells. Really big CMOS static cells.
On 12/14/2012 7:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz wrote:

When I was a new grad student, I spent one quarter working for Prof. Peter Banks (who was Sally Ride's advisor) at the STARlab at Stanford. He was a really good guy, doing interesting stuff, and hey, I thought, maybe I'll get to fly on a shuttle too. (This was in 1984, before Challenger.)
The day I decided to bail out and go back to building stuff on optical tables was the day he announced that he'd finally got approval to fly a mission he'd first proposed in _1968_. (It was the tethered satellite approach to electricity generation, the one that had the spectacular insulation failure on-orbit.)
Another one of his students spent 4 years building an instrument to fly as a 'getaway special' on a Delta, only to see it go into the Atlantic and have to get his degree by analyzing somebody's old data. :(
'Tis a bit of a heart-scald, this space business, as my grandmother might have said.
Cheers
Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I still have the 1802 processor manual from my old cosmac Elf.
Cheers
On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 15:49:58 -0800, John Larkin

My vote is for the Fairchild 3850.
?-)
ler.

his

hing,

lly

d is

d?

Well if ALL you know is MCS-51, then it would be an advantage. I've written lots of MIDI code in MCS-51 and it's a clunky architecture. I just get the impression that some of the instructions were added as 'Oh, Yeah'.
Does the op know if security is set? Tektronix used 8751s as the controllers in the 17xx series broadcast video scopes. The 'security bit' wasn't set so we just copied from a good scope to repair the broken ones. Good old JDR Microdevices EMUP programmer. Still got it with a pentiun 166.
Gary Walters wrote:

That sounds an entirely reasonable approach unless you can find someone from the defunct company. I know of a couple of products that were in relatively small-scale production using that series of CPUs unencrypted. Once they worked, they went straight into production. I'd assume it's unencrypted until you find anything to suggest otherwise.
Let me see if my Needhams EMP30 supports this chip. Worth a shot to see if the program is secured or not. Some manufacturers set the security/encryption bit(s) so you can't read it out while others leave it readable. I used something similar from Dallas/Maxim (now discontinued) http://www.keil.com/dd/docs/datashts/philips/8xc750_ds.pdf

There's no use for encryption when the security bits are not set. If they are set, you'd not be able to read the device anyway. So read the device if you can, get (or write) an appropriate disassembler and you'll see whether or not the code makes sense.
petrus bitbyter
On 12/15/2012 3:39 PM, petrus bitbyter wrote:

They possibly put in some copyright text into the original source file.
If you can read the chip, if its not all 0xFF 0r 0x00, look for any ASCII text.
hamilton

Sure, standard procedure - at least my standardprocedure - for examining unknown .HEX files starts making a hex-dump with ASCII translation. ASCII strings are often interesting but even if they're not they can be skipped while disassembling.
petrus bitbyter
On a sunny day (Sun, 16 Dec 2012 00:40:36 +0100) it happened "petrus bitbyter"

Yep, once a guy in a crypt newsgroup referred to some unknown code, I gave him all he menu choices. He said: How The f*ck did you figure that? I replied in Linux: strings filename

If you have an old 16 bit laying about put the ROM contents into a disk file and view the hex dump with Xtreegold.

Gary, I have a DS-750 dev kit from Ceibo. It has 2 87C750's <http://ceibo.com/eng/pdf/ds750.pdf Its dos or win98 based. It will read or write the devices. If you want to give it a shot let me know.
Cheers
Gary Walters wrote:

I think i have a complete programming kit which has all manuals. I also have a bunch of the P87C750s. If you want all of that, let me know and i will dig it up and send to "first come first served" - just pay reasonable estimate for shipping.