How to read code from P87C750?

[snip]

The Netronics ELF II was rad-hard. (Hard to use for radian math.) :)

Don Kuenz

Operand order is a function of the assembler, not the architecture. Eg: if I use "gas" I get the order you, and "AT&T" prefer if I use "nasm" I get the order intel prefers. endianness OTOH is dictated by the hardware.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Tell that to Intel.

Reply to
John Larkin

Precisely. ;-)

Too boring.

Um, name be one thing (in this universe) that moves from its destination to source.

Reply to
krw

Let me see if my Needhams EMP30 supports this chip. Worth a shot to see if the program is secured or not. Some manufacturers set the security/encryption bit(s) so you can't read it out while others leave it readable. I used something similar from Dallas/Maxim (now discontinued)

Oppie

Intel!

Reply to
John Larkin

Nonsense. I bet you think all programming languages were invented by Intel, then. The "destination" variable is almost always on the left.

Reply to
krw

"Gary Walters" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

There's no use for encryption when the security bits are not set. If they are set, you'd not be able to read the device anyway. So read the device if you can, get (or write) an appropriate disassembler and you'll see whether or not the code makes sense.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

They possibly put in some copyright text into the original source file.

If you can read the chip, if its not all 0xFF 0r 0x00, look for any ASCII text.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Sure, standard procedure - at least my standardprocedure - for examining unknown .HEX files starts making a hex-dump with ASCII translation. ASCII strings are often interesting but even if they're not they can be skipped while disassembling.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Gary, I have a DS-750 dev kit from Ceibo. It has 2 87C750's Its dos or win98 based. It will read or write the devices. If you want to give it a shot let me know.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

On a sunny day (Sun, 16 Dec 2012 00:40:36 +0100) it happened "petrus bitbyter" wrote in :

Yep, once a guy in a crypt newsgroup referred to some unknown code, I gave him all he menu choices. He said: How The f*ck did you figure that? I replied in Linux: strings filename

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

notax2day at the popular "Y" service.

Thanks.

Reply to
Gary Walters

I think i have a complete programming kit which has all manuals. I also have a bunch of the P87C750s. If you want all of that, let me know and i will dig it up and send to "first come first served" - just pay reasonable estimate for shipping.

Reply to
Robert Baer

My vote is for the Fairchild 3850.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Well if ALL you know is MCS-51, then it would be an advantage. I've written lots of MIDI code in MCS-51 and it's a clunky architecture. I just get the impression that some of the instructions were added as 'Oh, Yeah'.

Does the op know if security is set? Tektronix used 8751s as the controllers in the 17xx series broadcast video scopes. The 'security bit' wasn't set so we just copied from a good scope to repair the broken ones. Good old JDR Microdevices EMUP programmer. Still got it with a pentiun 166.

Reply to
stratus46

If you have an old 16 bit laying about put the ROM contents into a disk file and view the hex dump with Xtreegold.

Reply to
Ian Field