Interview

Hello everyone. In a few days, I am appearing for my first ever job screening test. Can you please help me with some useful links and sites/books which
will help me with revising the basics and preparing for the interview type questions ?
Aditya
P.S : I am a third year Electrical and electronics Eng. Undergraduate and the company visiting will be a core sectir company basically into manufacturing motors.
In article <2c91a167-e98f-4dec-8f82-d4e9dfdc9734

I rarely get technical questions outside of "tell us about the projects you've been involved with" or "what were your responsibilities". Don't think of an interview as an exam. You won't be able to cram for it, though an understanding of the company's products, particularly the ones at that site will help. IMO, sleep is more valuable than cramming, though I felt the same way in college too.

Good luck.
--
Keith

Attitude. Interviews are all about attitude. Be modest, polite, honest, and look them in the eye, I mean right in the eye. Practice the eye contact if necessary.

As far as attiude, modesty, politeness, honesty etc...I totally agree. As far as looking them right in the eye is concerned...I have my reservations. Staring at people right in the eye may lead them to believe you have homicidal tendancies (joke)...but it may make them feel a little tense. The best advice given to me from a government run employment advisory service in London many years ago was to look people in the eye when they are asking you a question, look interested...but regularly avert your gaze and then come back to them again. That way the eye contact does not get embarrassing or tense.
Good luck.

Often we only ask one or two questions about some project or other that you've worked on during your education. More about team skills and growth potential. Proper attitude, plays well with others, and able to recognize correct answer when shown goes a long way for that first job.
For us at least, things like spelling and grammar count, so ask someone to proofread your resume and cover letter. You can read the same sentence five times and not spot the mistake that someone else can find on the first read. Not everyone will agree that writing skills are that important, but they will always be an asset, never a hinderance. Engineering is about attention to detail, and not taking the time to check your own work is not a favorable impression. (some new engineers poo-poo writing skills as 'not important enough to be bothered with', but then who decides what *is* important enough??)
Otherwise, be polite, know something about the company so you can ask some relevant questions. Things such as what office / department would you start working, possibilities for growth, etc... This shows that you've taken some time to find out something about them and thought about how you might fit in with their organization.
You'll be nervous of course, don't be afraid to admit it. If you find yourself jabbering away or waving your hands or spilling coffee, just stop, apologize and explain that you're obviously a bit nervous. Unless you're applying for a job as a public speaker, you're not expected to be totally smooth and at ease.
Good Luck
daestrom P.S. It's a good idea to send them a thank-you later for the opportunity to meet with them. Keeps your name in their mind and shows some professionalism.
Aditya wrote:

This site might help: http://www.collegegrad.com/interview/firstjobinterview.shtml
Ed