welding equippment recommendation

Hello all-

I am completely ignorant when it comes to welding, welding supplies, and metalwork in general (although I do like to think I am pretty handy and learn new things quickly). That being said, I am interested in buying a welder that can be used for automotive restoration (replacing rusted out trunk panels, floor boards, and perhaps patch panels).

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can use for these types of tasks? I have ordered several books that will give me a general overview of welding & metal fabrication, but would like to figure out what price range I am looking at.

Also, if anyone has any web links or resources that might help me in obtaining more basic information on this topic please post them...I am willing to read up on the topic. Thanks.

Any advice is greatly appreciated (and I apologize if this is an extremely dumb question).

Thanks.

Kevin

Reply to
K. Elliot