Magnetizing Coil

Many years ago, a tooling shop I worked in after school had an electric coil mounted on the wall. It was rectangular and measured something near 4" x 6" inside. to magnetize an object you would hold the object in the middle of the coil then push and hold the button for a count of 3 or so, then release the button and remove the object. To demagnetize an object you would hold the object in the middle of the coil then push and hold the button while drawing the object out of the coil. I am interested in building a magnetizer like that now. If anyone has seen plans for something like this I would appreciate any info you would care to share. Thanks, K.

Reply to
kthr33

Degaussers are AC coils usually wound on a ferrite core. When you release the power button the object becomes magnetized from the last half cycle as the magnetic field collapses.

No plans are really needed, its simply a large coil and a switch.

Sometimes holding a Weller solder gun next to the object you wish to demagnetize is sufficient.

Reply to
TimPerry