Maxim IC frustration - hard to find components

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 17:52:53 GMT, the renowned Joerg

I sprung for a radio to keep them happy.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Hello Spehro,

One of our guys said "If I go in there and hear Mr.Bojangles one more time I am going to scream". But that's nothing compared to the schmaltzy stuff they listened to in a German production facility. It could make your toe nails curl.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

The machine shop I occasionally worked at in college had a bunch of old(er) machinists who preferred to listen to country music and Paul Harvey... really drove some of the highly-liberal college students nuts. :-)
Hello Joel,

Ah, my kind of tunes. I like Country. Not the modern stuff but old Americana. And Blues.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
snipped-for-privacy@removethispacbell.net says...

Ah, you like both kinds of music; Country _and_ Western.
--
Keith

Joerg wrote:

WSM AM Radio 650 KHZ in Nashville has several slots during the week were they only play early country and western music. You can listen online at http://www.wsmonline.com You can also hear the "Grand Ole Opry" live and in stereo on Friday and Saturday evenings. I have it on almost around the clock. You can listen for four hours before you are dropped, but all you have to do is click on the "Click here to keep listening to WSM" button to start the stream again.
prove it.
Hello Michael,

Thanks. Just tried it but all it does is say "connecting to wsmcruise" and then nothing happens. I'll try again later.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Joerg wrote:

Just added it to my bookmarks ,Works fine. Nice music ;) :)
Joel Kolstad wrote:

I remember listening to Paul Harvey - I was always amused that his tone and pitch did _not_ change during his commercials ;)
Cheers
PeteS
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com says...

I still listen to him on occasion. His "The Rest of the Story", is often interesting. the commercials start with even numbered pages. ;-)
--
KEith

I was a horrible disc jockey on a campus station for a few weeks during my college days. Did you ever think about the challenge of ending your show at the appropriate time?
After that experience I always though that his closing:
"This is Paul Harvey ................................................ .......................................... Good Day!"
was an amateur technique that evolved into a style.
xray wrote:

Try keeping a TV station on schedule from sign on to sign off, including a live newscast where the "Talent" didn't wand to shut up at the end of their 30 minutes.
prove it.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.invalid says...

I DJ'd for our college station (the only student station network affiliated, at the time) for a summer in the early '70s. I didn't have so much trouble ending on time for the network news, and such. My problem was getting all the work done, when it needed doing; logs, transmitter readings, station breaks...

Never thought of it that way.
--
Keith

Joerg wrote:

Eeeeewwwww
That's almost as bad as Barry Manilow greatest hits for 'animated production'
Cheers
PeteS

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I think we all (well, most) agree Maxim has some great parts, and I enjoyed the story above, but great parts is not the issue, as the thread has noted heavily ;)
Cheers
PeteS
snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com writes:

<SNIP interesting stuf>
Wow, you actually designed it? It is a great chip, which is why I never designed it out! Unfortunately is has occasionally been hard to get hold of. More importantly for me its price has failed to come down, so it now looks pretty expensive on the BOM.
--

John Devereux

Tim Wescott wrote:

It seems that their external foundry does the obsoleting for them (e.g. MAX038)
Chris

Go to Linear Tech, Nat Semi, or Analog Devices if you want readily available parts. The regional support staff have been really helpful. I've stopped using Maxim due to a fiasco I had with them 5 years ago and due to availability issues of other parts. Great parts if you can get your hands on them!

Ask them about the MAX439 and variants. It was a very unique op-amp at the time. Come to think of it, it's still a unique op-amp. Linear Technology was glad to pick up another $50k in sales from us when Maxim stopped producing the MAX439 due to a process line change. They couldn't figure out how the designer, who was on a very long vacation in Nepal, ever got that part to work.

--
Mark

Don't worry. They make it equally impossible for large companies.

They don't carry them because Maxim doesn't make (perhaps design) them unless there is a huge demand.

Exactly. Go elsewhere.
--
Keith

techman41973 @yahoo.com MULTI-POSTED:

...A prime example of why multi-posting is a bad idea. Read more here: http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.basics/browse_frm/thread/7b7c0624331012bb/3958f18673b5f374?q=EVERY-group -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-appear+*-proper-answer-*-*-*-given+much-easier-*-*-*-*-what's-going-on+*-frowned-on+*-correcting+*-polite-*-mention-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+*-*-_perfect_-*-*-*-*+*-Followup-To-*+*-*-*-too-lazy-*-*-*-*-*-appropriate-*+Just-because-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-does-not-mean-*-*-*-*-*-*+*-*-*-*-two-groups-*-*-aren't-*-different
If we can't convince you not to pay any attention to this pseudo-manufacturer, a vendor (Patrick Cheung, Hong Kong) did respond in your parallel (multi-posted) thread: http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.components/browse_frm/thread/f782366b25d7df45/9739eca2d667e901?q=We-do-have-the-following-stock