Maxim IC frustration - hard to find components

Graham,

There is no shipping & handling fee charged by Maxim/Dallas if you provide a freight account.

Thank you. Rebecca

Eeyore wrote:

Reply to
Rebecca of Maxim Dallas

So, if your potential customer here were to open such an account with FedEx etc he could pay them directly the shipping charge which he could negotiate with them ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yes Graham, I apologize. We do choose not to ship orders via USPS (other than samples). Thank you.

Rebecca

Eeyore wrote:

Reply to
Rebecca of Maxim Dallas

Yes Graham, I apologize. We do choose not to ship orders via USPS (other than samples). Thank you.

Rebecca

Eeyore wrote:

Reply to
Rebecca of Maxim Dallas

No problem. I'm just a bit of a pedant about English usage sometimes !

Btw. Are you aware of the preferred Usenet convention for bottom posting ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Hey Eeyore, are you aware of the preferred Usenet convention of trimming quoted text?

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I do but not excessively usually. Problem ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Hi, Rebecca,

No, I haven't received any mail. My email is jjlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com.

Our BOM calls out MAX5205AEUB but it turns our that any version of the

5205 or of the 5204 will work.

We have had 250 pieces on order for 12 weeks, due last month. The delivery was slipped to late this month, the 28th I think. If (*IF*) the shipment arrives this month, we could sure use another 50 or so ASAP to keep production going until then. If not, trouble multiplies. As I mentioned, we can ship a $54K modulator for each 8 dacs we can scrounge.

Please email me tomorrow and I'll have the PO number; I'm at home now.

Thanks for the help. Maxim usually bails us out when things get grim, but this same situation has happened a number of times and it's always scairy. As you can see, lots of engineers are avoiding designing around Maxim parts, based on similar experiences. When we had the problem with the MAX9690 comparators, and had to make an adapter board (which soldered into the SO-8 footprint!) and Maxim sampled us 2500 of the MAX9691EUA.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

Hey, i can see stardust. I am mostly interested in samples that i may experiment with. Chance for products effectively zero.

Reply to
joseph2k

Thank you, that was a really nice expose' on how DHL is "making" its money.

Reply to
joseph2k

Specific question: Does USPS handle any shipments that do not either originate or terminate inside USA?

Reply to
joseph2k

Same problem with all 3 when it comes to our customs clearance charges. If what I've been told is true, they all get everything checked, even if the check costs more than the value of the item. Might have changed a bit, I believe that our $ horizon for a mandatory check has been raised.

If you do USPS for samples, and the customer wants USPS, why not just provide it? It's no skin off *your* nose.

You should make that *much* more obvious on your website. A single help page addressing the issue of how to minimise costs of shipping and handling would be sufficient, as long as it was linked in the right places.

Thanks for responding, but I'm still p**^$% off, more than a year later.

On a separate note for the Australian residents here, does anyone else find it obscene that our Govt used $120M of our taxes to produce the new screening system, which is now *user pays* to recover the money - the fees are far in excess of operating costs - and although we've already paid for the system's development, the fees aren't rebatable? Double taxation if ever I saw it!

Hmmph.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

...*unable* to ship (via) US mail? That is not believable. USPS will pickup and allows accounts like just like FedEx, UPS, etc. Furthermore someone there could just as easily deliver packages to a local USPS office. So there is really no excuse to *not* use USPS if a customer wants that. To make a profit, *LISTEN* to the customers AND keep the customers happy.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes Graham, that is correct. Rebecca

Reply to
Rebecca of Maxim Dallas

John,

Great news. We have over 1000 of the MAX5204AEUB in stock. They are older date codes. There are also 600 pcs of the MAX5205ACUB available.

Please contact me directly via email if you want me to make changes to your order. rebecca.graves at dalsemi dot com.

Sincerely, Rebecca

Reply to
Rebecca of Maxim Dallas

Hello Rebecca,

Good job! Now this begs the question, why was John's initial sales contact into Maxim unable to find those?

Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, Rebecca. My purchasing people will be in direct contact.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

In message , dated Tue,

15 Aug 2006, Joerg writes

Don't embarrass Rebecca by asking questions you know won't be answered. That could result in this channel, which is an unusual venture and was probably authorised at a high level in Maxim, being closed. We can hope that internal training of order-takers will be improved, now that the situation has been highlighted.

Reply to
John Woodgate

Hello John,

It was more of a rhetoric question. Meaning that I believe it's high time for some employee training at Maxim. Plus possibly a new enterprise network in case it turns out that they just could not get at that information.

I can only applaud folks like Rebecca who venture out into a "lion's den" consisting mostly of unhappy customers. It would be good for Maxim to keep this up and also monitor groups like this one. There are a lot of people here who make de-facto decisions worth millions in sales for semi mfgs.

On a side note, after I bought the first edition Mitsubishi Montero Sport a "clandestine" web site popped up. There, people could log complaints, make suggestions and Mitsubishi engineers would listen. IIRC it was shut down per ordere de mufti pretty soon. However, lots of those very suggestions miraculously made it into the next model.

Reply to
Joerg

John,

Thank you for your concern, but I am happy to answer Joerg's question. I do not know why John's initial contact to Maxim did not lead to the locating of these parts. I can tell you that I did not do anything extraordinary to locate these parts. They do require a formal quote be submitted, but if any customer were to submit a quote on our website while these units remain in stock, they would also be told that we have these parts available. As I stated very early on, often customers call and ask for the part they want, and we do not realize that they are desperate and that we should look for alternatives for them. Often the lead time quoted (as long as it may be) is suitable for the customer's production schedule. We cannot assume they need us to look for an alternative that is available sooner. I do not pretend that we are without fault. It is very possible that John's purchasing department called and asked to expedite, and that the sales person they spoke with only tried to expedite the part on order, and did not look for alternatives. That would be disappointing, as it is our policy to offer alternatives.

Thank you. Rebecca

Reply to
Rebecca of Maxim Dallas