Maxim IC frustration - hard to find components

didn't they say if customer arranges freight, they won't charge... send them a stamped addressed envelope.
Bye. Jasen
Clifford Heath wrote:

What part of samples may well come from a "local" office and volume shipments come from overseas don't you understand? USPS is still territorially limited by law.
--
JosephKK
Rebecca of Maxim Dallas wrote:

...*unable* to ship (via) US mail? That is not believable. USPS will pickup and allows accounts like just like FedEx, UPS, etc. Furthermore someone there could just as easily deliver packages to a local USPS office. So there is really no excuse to *not* use USPS if a customer wants that. To make a profit, *LISTEN* to the customers AND keep the customers happy.
Robert Baer wrote:

See my remarks to Clifford.
--
JosephKK
Clifford Heath wrote:

Thank you, that was a really nice expose' on how DHL is "making" its money.
--
JosephKK
On 9 Aug 2006 16:07:44 -0700, "Rebecca of Maxim Dallas"

Hi, Rebecca,
It's getting to be conventional wisdom among EEs that one should avoid designing Maxim parts into products. It doesn't help that pinouts are deliberately made non-standard.
I've been personally burned four or five times. At this instant, we can't ship over a million dollars worth of product because Maxim has slipped their promised delivery date on MAX5205's. Do you know where I can score a couple of hundred?
I've been having friends and family request samples, which are available. Every 8 dacs we can scrounge, we can ship a $54,000 laser modulator.
John
John Larkin wrote:

I'm curious which parts you think have deliberate non-standard pinouts. I can tell you in the decade I worked there, this was never an issue. Pinouts are carefully chosen to minimize noise, ease PCB layout, etc. To keep costs down, Maxim doesn't make a die per each package type (in general), so pinouts are designed to work across many package types. [Back lap specs change from package to package, so often wafers get allocated to one particular package at the expense of another, which in turn causes shortages in a particular package type.]
At no company did I ever deliberately make pinouts to be non-standard. If anything, if a part exists already with defined pinouts, you make it a point to use THOSE pinouts in order to steal the sockets with your hopefully superior product.
For one chip I did at a company I better not mention, a customer leaked us a datasheet of a competitors part. We actually changed our part to match their pinouts since our part was still in design. They had an interesting feature that I added as well. As luck would have it, our part came out before their part, but with the competitors pinouts and features. While we were doing high fives, I suspect somebody at the competition was pounding their fist on the conference table.

On 9 Aug 2006 22:24:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com wrote:

I base that statement on the parts I see, and an interview with Maxim's CEO, where he said that nonstandard pinout was a specific company strategy.
Got any 5205's you can spare?
John
John Larkin wrote:

Do you have a reference when Jack Gifford said this? Hopefully on-line.

On 10 Aug 2006 10:11:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com wrote:

No, it was an interview in some magazine. I was surprised that he just said it out loud.
No 5205's, huh?
John
John Larkin wrote:

Some magazine... At this point, I'm inclined to think he said he prefers sole sourced products since they have a higher ASP. I know how he thinks.

Nope.

snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com wrote:

It was an issue.

Then the problem seems to be that design engineers do not think the same way he does. Usually that isn't a good thing. Most of us never design in a sole-sourced part unless there is no other alternative. Usually there is.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Joerg wrote:

Did you model your laser modulator to be plug compatible with another company's laser modulator? I'd hate to think each company had their own standard. That would raise the price, and making money is bad.
On a data converter, I'm guessing a good wafer run yields about 10k parts. Profit should be about a factor or 3 or 4, so break even is only say 3000 parts. I can't see the factory turning down such an order.
BTW, I still own stock in the company and am certainly not pleased with the performance since I know it is something easily fixed with a good purge at the top. I can name the names of people running the show that really have to go, not that I think it will happen. I've read the posting on Yahoo and just laugh at how accurate they are, especially regarding the fab.
Note: the Peter principle is not a theory, but a fact.
Maybe TI will buy the company and clean it up. It woud take very little effort to make Maxim a money making machine again since an outside company would get rid of the top level of management, which is 90% of the problem.
On 11 Aug 2006 20:56:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com wrote:

It's a rackmount chassis full of timing, gate pulse generators, PLLs, self-test, multisection lithium niobate modulators, power supplies, a 4 gs/s arbitrary waveform generator, ethernet interface, and distributed amplifiers... full custom.

They didn't turn it down. They promised 12 week delivery and didn't deliver. They slipped it another 4 weeks. When Maxim does that, we get scared, because additional slips often follow.

I always liked Burr-Brown for their quality, integrity, and availability of parts. I was afraid the TI would mess them up, but they haven't. TI is deadly serious about analog, and they are doing it right.
John
John Larkin wrote:

I am using a number of Burr-Brown parts (and a lot of TI parts too) in various designs, and I'll agree TI is deadly serious about doing it right.
Maxim should be *very* worried, because TI is second sourcing a lot of their RS232 parts, amongst other things. I get their weekly e-newsletter and it seems a new one or two are added each time.
Cheers
PeteS
On 12 Aug 2006 09:47:59 -0700, the renowned "PeteS"

I actually designed one in a couple of weeks ago. But only because TI had it. So maybe it could possible benefit them, but only if they can compete with TI on price and have the parts available.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
John Larkin wrote:

You can have rework on wafers or some machine needs repair, but generally wafers won't slip 4 weeks. A run gets outright scrapped. When it slips a few weeks, the problem is nobody is watching the product on the backend (Packaging and test). As I've said before, these are problems that can be fixed, but you need to remove some totally baffled people that should have long been fired or retired. I have little tolerance for manufacturing screw ups, assuming the design is robust.
When I do a board level design (generally for myself ;-)), I use TI parts since I can get them from Digikey or Mouser. TI is the last big company that has any respect for analog.
Hello John,

And then the next worry is whether that could be the final slip into the land of Unobtainia.

They seem to take that part of biz serious. I know an engineer who works in what they call the Burr Brown group, cranking out new stuff. Pretty encouraging. In the days before TI acquired them I usually shunned Burr Brown because their pricing was often sky-high. Now it's much better.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com wrote: