Maxim IC frustration - hard to find components

...depends on what you call "tracking". With FedEx, one gets to see virtually every "change of hands", but with USPS, one only gets to see some of that up to port of exit, and nada until it gets to port of *delivery*, and no more.

Reply to
Robert Baer

John,

post your address somewhere and I bet lots of people in this NG will be willing to help with ordering samples.

SioL

Reply to
SioL

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 06:41:42 GMT, the renowned Robert Baer

Yes, I spoke a bit loosely. There is automatic *delivery confirmation* so that the sender doesn't have the risk of with fraudulent claims of non-receipt.

Very tight tracking. Every time it gets sorted, or goes up or down an aircraft ramp it gets scanned and the info goes into the database for almost immediate availability. By contrast, Purolator has almost as detailed tracking but it sometimes runs behind by an hour or two, which can be significant.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It's a rackmount chassis full of timing, gate pulse generators, PLLs, self-test, multisection lithium niobate modulators, power supplies, a

4 gs/s arbitrary waveform generator, ethernet interface, and distributed amplifiers... full custom.

They didn't turn it down. They promised 12 week delivery and didn't deliver. They slipped it another 4 weeks. When Maxim does that, we get scared, because additional slips often follow.

I always liked Burr-Brown for their quality, integrity, and availability of parts. I was afraid the TI would mess them up, but they haven't. TI is deadly serious about analog, and they are doing it right.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

If I don't hear from Rebecca, I'll do that. I can pay the going rate, about $10 each (starving students take note!) or swap for some of the more interesting parts we have in stock.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

I am using a number of Burr-Brown parts (and a lot of TI parts too) in various designs, and I'll agree TI is deadly serious about doing it right.

Maxim should be *very* worried, because TI is second sourcing a lot of their RS232 parts, amongst other things. I get their weekly e-newsletter and it seems a new one or two are added each time.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

I actually designed one in a couple of weeks ago. But only because TI had it. So maybe it could possible benefit them, but only if they can compete with TI on price and have the parts available.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I emailed my local suppliers here, its a long shot, but who knows, maybe they have some stock.

SioL

Reply to
SioL

You can have rework on wafers or some machine needs repair, but generally wafers won't slip 4 weeks. A run gets outright scrapped. When it slips a few weeks, the problem is nobody is watching the product on the backend (Packaging and test). As I've said before, these are problems that can be fixed, but you need to remove some totally baffled people that should have long been fired or retired. I have little tolerance for manufacturing screw ups, assuming the design is robust.

When I do a board level design (generally for myself ;-)), I use TI parts since I can get them from Digikey or Mouser. TI is the last big company that has any respect for analog.

Reply to
miso

Hello John,

And then the next worry is whether that could be the final slip into the land of Unobtainia.

They seem to take that part of biz serious. I know an engineer who works in what they call the Burr Brown group, cranking out new stuff. Pretty encouraging. In the days before TI acquired them I usually shunned Burr Brown because their pricing was often sky-high. Now it's much better.

Reply to
Joerg

The more i read the more i think they are like Brooktree, all design and no fab. Thus, their own difficulty in obtaining parts above sample quantities.

Reply to
joseph2k
["Followup-To:" header set to sci.electronics.design.] On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 13:23:41 +1000, Clifford Heath wrote in Msg.

Funny! The same thing happened to me with DHL (in Germany). I found the $10 (10 EUR, actually) charge outrageous, so I called them and asked about it. The nice lady on the other end just told me, without any haggle, "dont pay it." I asked, whaddayoumean don't pay it? She said that she had just taken the E10 off the bill and I didn't have to pay the service fee. I asked, "So that fee is only for those customers that don't complain?" To which she replied, "Yes, that's about it."

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Wow, you actually designed it? It is a great chip, which is why I never designed it out! Unfortunately is has occasionally been hard to get hold of. More importantly for me its price has failed to come down, so it now looks pretty expensive on the BOM.

Reply to
John Devereux

I have not looked for a while now, but I never managed to find anything quite right. We wanted the 64 leds per chip (and no SMT).

Reply to
John Devereux

Hello John,

Non-SMT? That's going to become increasingly impossible ;-)

Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, these were old products... We are pretty much all SMT now for new desigs. (And we use colour LCD displays instead of LED bar graphs!)

But we still make some of the old stuff, and still buy the MAX7219s.

Reply to
John Devereux

Clifford,

We are able to ship via DHL, UPS, or Fed Ex, as well as many freight forwarders. We are unable to ship via US Mail. I'm sorry you experienced such high shipping costs. When we ship on our account number and bill you, the cost is $50 for international shipping and handling, and the only other costs you should be charged are duties and taxes by your local customs. We do support methods other than DHL. If you have problems in the future please feel free to contact me directly. I am the only Rebecca in the group.

Thank you, Rebecca

Clifford Heath wrote:

Reply to
Rebecca of Maxim Dallas

I seriously don't understand why yourselves and other semi makers consider $50 for a lightweight shipment to be acceptable valie.

You're being robbed blind ! $10 would be more like it !

I have a FedEx account btw. What would it be if it were charged to *my* account ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

John,

Based on your most recent posting I don't believe you received my direct email from 8/10. Can you confirm the full part number you need? The MAX5205 has a number of versions. You mention that every 8 units helps, and that you need a couple hundred. Can you be very specific in terms of quantities, such as run rate and ideal quantities and time frames? Please let me know exactly what part you are looking for, how many you need, and when you need them. If you have an existing order, please advise with whom and the PO#.

Thank you. Rebecca

John Lark> >

Reply to
Rebecca of Maxim Dallas

Strictly speaking, I think you mean you choose not to ship by US Mail. I'm sure it's entirely possible.

Typical MBA speak.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore