Maxim IC frustration - hard to find components

I believe she mentioned the Philippines; it may be worth it to make a trip out there. *Must* you use Maxim's MAX5205?

This is very interesting:

Short, anyone?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I was a horrible disc jockey on a campus station for a few weeks during my college days. Did you ever think about the challenge of ending your show at the appropriate time?

After that experience I always though that his closing:

"This is Paul Harvey ................................................ .......................................... Good Day!"

was an amateur technique that evolved into a style.

Reply to
xray

Try keeping a TV station on schedule from sign on to sign off, including a live newscast where the "Talent" didn't wand to shut up at the end of their 30 minutes.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I DJ'd for our college station (the only student station network affiliated, at the time) for a summer in the early '70s. I didn't have so much trouble ending on time for the network news, and such. My problem was getting all the work done, when it needed doing; logs, transmitter readings, station breaks...

Never thought of it that way.

Reply to
krw

I base that statement on the parts I see, and an interview with Maxim's CEO, where he said that nonstandard pinout was a specific company strategy.

Got any 5205's you can spare?

John

Reply to
John Larkin

Technically, it was a perfect fit. Bummer.

Just goes to show you that engineers' opinions do matter. As word gets around about these sorts of problems, we design around somebody else's parts.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

Look at the 5-year chart and compare with LLTC and ATML.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Joerg,

Yes, Maxim Dallas Direct (MDD) is definitely also for large volume production needs. Of course there will be times when our standard lead time is too long for customer requirements, and when that happens, let us know. Our people are trained to do everything possible to always meet customers' lead time requirements. Too often the customer just hears the lead time, says thank you, and hangs up. If we know you need parts sooner we will look at upgrades, alternatives, world wide inventory, etc. What I find most useful is when customers are able to provide their drop dead quantity and their run rate. If a customer calls in for 10k, the lead time may be 8 weeks, but if they are only using 1k/week, we can often find ways to split their order into 1k shipments and keep their production line running. In addition, customers are able to schedule orders out as far as a year. This allows them to take advantage of volume prices and helps eliminate delivery issues.

Thank you for your suggestion regarding tracking lost business due to lead time.

Sincerely, Rebecca

Joerg wrote:

Reply to
Rebecca of Maxim Dallas

Rebecca,

another issues:

-- Why is it so difficult to get from a part to the online shop?

For example, I have followed

-> Video -> Video On-Screen Display -> Max4455

This is straightforward and gives a nice overview of the part. Now lets assume I want to check price and availability:

Buy-> By Web: BUY ON-LINE ->Price and Availability ->

Now I have to type in the part by hand...

This isn't straightforward

Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

Uwe,

We definitely appreciate any and all feedback about the ecommerce website. It is our sincere goal to make the website as user friendly as possible. I am involved in the constant updating of our ecommerce website and will include your below feedback in our upcoming improvements to the site. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other suggestions.

Thank you,

Rebecca

Uwe B>

Reply to
Rebecca of Maxim Dallas

Do you have a reference when Jack Gifford said this? Hopefully on-line.

Reply to
miso

Call me cynical (it would be much nicer than some things I've been called), but I see Rebecca as 'damage control'.

As I noted much earlier in this thread, I have had assurances in the past that all was changed and Maxim really really _really_wanted to cater to the little project as well as the big one, but then when push came to shove, failed utterly and reverted to type. Once they were designed in and a board fabricated, I encountered an attitude that can only be characterised as arrogant; viz - 'there is no direct substitute for that part and now you'll just have to either order a huge quantity or wait until we happen to get such an order for it'.

The last time that happened I made a board with the same footprint as the part with a competitor's part on it.

The exhortations I hear are rather like the boy who cried Wolf, but I've now heard it too many times to believe it.

I'll believe the reform when I _see_ it. Until then, Maxim is a proscribed vendor for my products. That's a shame as they make some really good stuff.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

This might be appropriate:

SioL

Reply to
SioL

Hello Michael,

Thanks. Just tried it but all it does is say "connecting to wsmcruise" and then nothing happens. I'll try again later.

Reply to
Joerg

Just added it to my bookmarks ,Works fine. Nice music ;) :)

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

No, it was an interview in some magazine. I was surprised that he just said it out loud.

No 5205's, huh?

John

Reply to
John Larkin

That big dip in late '02 was when I quit buying their comparators.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

Some magazine... At this point, I'm inclined to think he said he prefers sole sourced products since they have a higher ASP. I know how he thinks.

Nope.

Reply to
miso

I bet the 'user friendliness' only stretches as far as telling you '26 weeks delivery' or 'minimum order 2500'.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Can you use MAX5201 parts?