messing with the power connection

Most small time crooks won't have any encryption at all and all but the biggest master criminal will be running something these guys can crack. If you are just trying to hide some messages there are lots of ways to make it virtually uncrackable. I think Phil is talking about a drive running commercial software and transactional data, just using some commercial encryption.

Reply to
gfretwell

Its just another "gadget" for the Govt to spend your tax dollars on. Wait a couple of years and tons will be auctioned on e-bay from municipal surplus auctions.

Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Some kid with a PC cracked DES 32 bit encryption (the best the federal government would let you have in the Clinton administration) in about

15 hours with a pretty modest PC compared to a minimal Vista machine.

I still say if you buried data in a BMP file nobody would ever find it unless they had the algorythm you used to select the bytes you changed. Think about only using the 2 low order bits of each 8 bit color value in a 24 bit pixel you altered, group them up for a 6 bit BCD character. The slight shift in color would not be noticable and in some cases it might even come out the same. The only thing the decoder would need was the way you selected bytes. Simple would be one every (pick a prime number) tougher yet would be a more complicated algorythm. It would be like an enigma machine on steroids. To start with you would have to know which image had the message.

Reply to
gfretwell

You're full of shit! DES has never had 32-bit keys. Even thirty years ago DES-64 (or DES-56, depending on how you count) was the standard. Double DES (two or three pass) is now quite common and quite unbreakable by a kid in his bedroom.

Bytes? Change LSBs. It will look like (digitization) noise to anyone who looks. Encrypt it while you're at it to make it look more like noise.

It's called "steganography" and has been known for as long as secrets have been kept. BTW, the Enigma machine had nothing to do with steganography. Enigma is a block cypher.

Don't invent cryptography. There is plenty of *strong* crypto publicly available and you will lose with your own.

Reply to
krw

Whatever ... the fact still remains some european kid cracked it while our government was trying to say that was all they would let us use.

Reply to
gfretwell

Put a jiggle switch in the PC case (or a microswitch under one of the feet) that forces a reboot if the system is moved or picked up. Put a tamper switch in the case to reboot it when opened as well.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:03:21 -0800 Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> |> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:36:35 -0800 Anthony Guzzi wrote: |> | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> |> This is an amazing device: |> |>

I'll call it the "earthquake emergency fast shutdown" feature :)

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Yank the plug.

Reply to
krw

You're still full of shit. There is no "DES-32" and never has been. DES-64 (or more accurately DES-56) won't be "cracked" and certainly not by some kid in his bedroom. I can be busted exhaustively, but that's still a large problem. Double or Triple DES make that an impossibility today.

Reply to
krw

No good. What Phil is trying to prevent is a swat team kicking in his front door and immobilizing him before he can reach the plug or reset button.

They want to keep the system up and running and logged in as they transport it to their lab. Hence the fancy HotPlug system.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:43:42 -0500 krw wrote: | In article , | snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says... |> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:47:39 -0500, krw wrote: |> |> >> Some kid with a PC cracked DES 32 bit encryption (the best the federal |> >> government would let you have in the Clinton administration) in about |> >> 15 hours with a pretty modest PC compared to a minimal Vista machine. |> >

|> >You're full of shit! DES has never had 32-bit keys. Even thirty |> >years ago DES-64 (or DES-56, depending on how you count) was the |> >standard. Double DES (two or three pass) is now quite common and |> |> Whatever ... the fact still remains some european kid cracked it while |> our government was trying to say that was all they would let us use. |> | You're still full of shit. There is no "DES-32" and never has been. | DES-64 (or more accurately DES-56) won't be "cracked" and certainly | not by some kid in his bedroom. I can be busted exhaustively, but | that's still a large problem. Double or Triple DES make that an | impossibility today.

True, there was no DES-32. However, there was a DES-40. That was trivial to crack. For a while, that was the only thing the US allowed to export.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Hey I was giving up the bit count, it is still a fact DES was cracked

Reply to
gfretwell

No, it wasn't "trivial" to crack. The so-called DES-40 was DES-56 with modified keys. It couldn't be "cracked" any more than DES-56 could be "cracked" and an exhaustive search isn't all that trivial either. DES-40 keys are still 56bit, though have an "effective length" of 40bits. An exhaustive attack isn't trivial, though certainly within the comfortable range of the black-hats. That said, DES-40 was never used for anything important and certainly never "all the Clinton administration would let us use". DES-40 was dead long before the the swear word "Clinton" was known outside Arkansas.

The point still stands. The story is bullshit.

Reply to
krw

DES has not been "cracked", except exhaustively. No one has "cracked" DES other than by exhausting the key-space and that is

*NOT* 32bits in *ANY form of DES. The article is a lie and you're happily repeating it.
Reply to
krw

Are you familliar with the congressional hearings about this? It was definately during the Reno DoJ and Reno was a minor political hack in Miami when Clinton was in Arkansas.I suppose I could go find the information on Thomas.LOC but yoiu would say that was bullshit too. Have a nice life

BTW the same way you say distributing neighborhoods with one phase is bullshit and I can take plenty of pictures of that in SW Florida

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, you are full of shit. There never has been any law against using any crypto you so desire. NEVER! There are export laws, that were easily gotten around by publishing crypto outside the US. ...and that was before Clinton. Give it up. You're hopelessly sans clue.

I can't help it if you live in the third world.

Reply to
krw

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:50:16 -0500 krw wrote: | In article , phil-news- | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says... |> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:43:42 -0500 krw wrote: |> | In article , |> | snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says... |> |> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:47:39 -0500, krw wrote: |> |> |> |> >> Some kid with a PC cracked DES 32 bit encryption (the best the federal |> |> >> government would let you have in the Clinton administration) in about |> |> >> 15 hours with a pretty modest PC compared to a minimal Vista machine. |> |> >

Sorry to bust your balloon, but DES-40 was indeed "trivial" to crack. Please carefully note that "trivial" is _relative_ to the cryptographic community. The average person would NOT be able to do this. But a knowledgeable and motivated person could. The NSA would have no problem. DES-40 was in fact used for a while. I believe it is no longer used in anything but unmaintained facilities.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 22:36:31 -0500 krw wrote: | In article , | snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says... |> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:50:16 -0500, krw wrote: |> |> >"all the Clinton administration would let us use". DES-40 was dead |> >long before the the swear word "Clinton" was known outside Arkansas. |> |> Are you familliar with the congressional hearings about this? It was |> definately during the Reno DoJ and Reno was a minor political hack in |> Miami when Clinton was in Arkansas.I suppose I could go find the |> information on Thomas.LOC but yoiu would say that was bullshit too. |> Have a nice life | | Yes, you are full of shit. There never has been any law against | using any crypto you so desire. NEVER! There are export laws, that | were easily gotten around by publishing crypto outside the US. | ...and that was before Clinton. Give it up. You're hopelessly sans | clue.

The export laws prevented any software that _originated_ in the USA to be exported to any foreign country with a few exceptions. Software that was not originated in the USA was unaffected since it was not exported. But if the software come _in_ to the USA and was in any way repackaged, the law affected it. That's why we had, for a while, web browsers with poor security. One could go to an out-of-USA web site and get the browser with strong security. One could get the strong security software _in_ the USA with proof of USA citizenship or residency.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 21:43:29 -0500 krw wrote: | In article , | snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says... |> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:43:42 -0500, krw wrote: |> |> >> Whatever ... the fact still remains some european kid cracked it while |> >> our government was trying to say that was all they would let us use. |> >> |> >You're still full of shit. There is no "DES-32" and never has been. |> >DES-64 (or more accurately DES-56) won't be "cracked" and certainly |> >not by some kid in his bedroom. I can be busted exhaustively, but |> >that's still a large problem. Double or Triple DES make that an |> >impossibility today. |> |> Hey I was giving up the bit count, it is still a fact DES was cracked | | DES has not been "cracked", except exhaustively. No one has | "cracked" DES other than by exhausting the key-space and that is | *NOT* 32bits in *ANY form of DES. The article is a lie and you're | happily repeating it.

It was shown a few years back that DES-40 could be exhaustively scanned in under a day with less than $25,000 of computer equipment. At today's CPU powers and prices, it's probably a lot less than that, now. Of course, no one in their right mind (not enough of these to go around, unfortunately) would use DES-40 or even DES-56 these days.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

That was the attempt. Didn't work. RSA was "reinvented" outside the US, therefore set "free" of export laws.

So don't. It really was that simple. The worms escaped and there was no way for the NSA to re-can them.

One could do an in-USA secure web browser too, just don't get caught "exporting" it (laptop). Since the Internet is "free", the whole thing wend down in flames, silly stories about kids in their bedrooms or not.

Reply to
krw