messing with the power connection

snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...

No, I expect people here to be half-literate.
--
Keith

| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...
So then don't make stuff up.
says...

Have you ever looked in a mirror, Phil. ...or did they all shatter?
--
Keith

| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...
Sorry to bust your balloon, but DES-40 was indeed "trivial" to crack. Please carefully note that "trivial" is _relative_ to the cryptographic community. The average person would NOT be able to do this. But a knowledgeable and motivated person could. The NSA would have no problem. DES-40 was in fact used for a while. I believe it is no longer used in anything but unmaintained facilities.
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...

YOu have no idea what you're talking about, as usual.

Ah, so starts backtracking.

Care to move the goal posts another ten yards?
--
Keith

| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...
Getting deeper into technical details and semantics for someone that so far doesn't get it.
|> The average person would NOT be able to do this. But a |> knowledgeable and motivated person could. The NSA would have no problem. |> DES-40 was in fact used for a while. I believe it is no longer used in |> anything but unmaintained facilities. | | Care to move the goal posts another ten yards?
Not moved at all.
You know what, you sound like another net-idiot named Matthew L. Martin in another newsgroup. Same attitude problems. Same M.O.
says...

Backtracking.
Safety!
Setting net-idiots, like you and Dimmie, in their place? Sure.
--
Keith

     Hey I was giving up the bit count, it is still a fact DES was cracked
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

DES has not been "cracked", except exhaustively. No one has "cracked" DES other than by exhausting the key-space and that is *NOT* 32bits in *ANY form of DES. The article is a lie and you're happily repeating it.
--
Keith

| snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...
It was shown a few years back that DES-40 could be exhaustively scanned in under a day with less than $25,000 of computer equipment. At today's CPU powers and prices, it's probably a lot less than that, now. Of course, no one in their right mind (not enough of these to go around, unfortunately) would use DES-40 or even DES-56 these days.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Its just another "gadget" for the Govt to spend your tax dollars on. Wait a couple of years and tons will be auctioned on e-bay from municipal surplus auctions.
--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

One of the things I've often thought about is the new hi-speed drives and gyroscopic torque. So I sat down and *assumed* a few dimensions.
If the rotating platters add up to 50 grams, and the radius of the platters is about 5 cm, and the drive spins at 7400 RPM (775 rad/s), you get a moment of inertia of only 6.25e-5 kgm^2, which doesn't sound like very much.
Now, if you tilt the spinning axis of such a drive while its running at rated speed, the gyroscopic torque is the product of the moment of inertia, the rate it's spinning and the rate you're tilting it. So if you tilt it at a leisurely 1 rad/s, the resulting torque is about 0.05 N-m. Again, it may not sound like much, but if the shaft length is only 2 cm, that places a force of 2.4 N extra loading on the bearings. Considering the normal weight on the bearings is only about 0.25 N, that extra force is almost 10x the normal loading.
Not enough to fail probably, but gives one an appreciation for what 'rolling / twisting' a running hard drive can do.
daestrom
| I worked in commercial crypto for several years (commercial DES | hardware, in fact) and my father was a power engineer (EE professor) | who wanted them to bring the three-phase into the house that was | clearly there. No Phil, you're the "six-star" idiot here.
Everyone else here either knows what three phase really is, or knows they don't know what three phase is. You are the one that is the sole exception.
How long ago was it you were in crypto? How isolated from the real world were you?
says...

As usual, Phil, you're talking from where you should be sitting.

'90s. Not. Commercial crypto, you know, DES, 3-DES, did a DES40 implementation (scrapped - no market), RSA, Diffie-Hellman, the usual suspects. In short I know a hell of a lot more about the subject than you can even pretend to, as hard as you try.
--
Keith

| says...
So how many people do you think are regulars here that do NOT fit the description I gave?
|> How long ago was it you were in crypto? How isolated from the real world |> were you? | | '90s. Not. Commercial crypto, you know, DES, 3-DES, did a DES40 | implementation (scrapped - no market), RSA, Diffie-Hellman, the | usual suspects. In short I know a hell of a lot more about the | subject than you can even pretend to, as hard as you try.
When you give incorrect facts and illiterate descriptions, you are unconvincing.
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...

Dumbass! Learn to read.

When you are pedantic you're a bigger ass than usual. That's an accomplishment. Are you sure you're not another of Dimmie's sock puppets?
--
Keith

| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...
|> | says...
That's an interesting, and new, definition.
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...

What a maroon!
--
Keith