mini ATX supply problem

Hi all, Just recently I got my hands on a PW-120 series, 12V DC in ATX supply:

I plugged it into the mini-itx mainboard that I have:
and something strange happened. Since I didn't have a 12V DC plug available, one of the techs made me one. I made sure that the polarity was right, and hooked it up to a power supply in the labs at uni, at 12V.

The ATX supply started to suck a large amount of current (it peaked around

15, then settled around 8A - due to the overload protection of the lab supply to V went down to 0). The mini-itx did not switch on even after I shorted the two power switch pins, which I read was an acceptable way of powering on the computer without a front panel.

I didn't let it stay at that level for long, but in the several seconds it was on, nothing happened and the ATX supply was not even warm and nothing made a sound or heated up.

I understand that for 200W out you need at least 200/12 ~ 17A in (at 100% efficiency), but I didnt even have a hard-drive or a CD-ROM plugged in so it shouldnt draw anything near 200W should it? Is it possible that the transient current draw was too much and that tripped the overload on the lab supply?

I am going to test the mini-itx with a traditional ATX supply from a case, hook it up to the front panel and see it the board works but if anyone has any idea why it did this or any suggestions, I would be grateful.

Cheers Marc

Reply to
Marc W

Btw.. out curiousity. Could you provide a photo of the pcb flipped to the other side than that in the supplied product brouchyre?

Asfair (+) is in the middle. And (-) is the "shield" (if plastic counts :). Verfify with multimeter. And verify the connections on the pwr supply. Due the funny habbit of royal mess of DC plug volts and +/- orientation.

Which power switch pins?

That brief 12V*15A could been something overheating. It doesn't neccesarly have to blow up. Just melting the P/N layers could make it faulty.

I hope you had the mobo+cpu connected at minimum. Because switched pwr supply (if that's the case) can be very unhappy about such things.

Tell us if the mobo worked. Because it limits the possible sources of fault.

Reply to
pbdelete

Maybe in a few days, once I can get hold of a digital camera. Nothing looks completely cooked, though four of the chips look a bit 'dirty' on close inspection. These chips read: FA0348, FDD, 6880A

In the instruction manual it says that the center is the positive, the tech told me which wire on the plug he made was positive. lol just now I got paranoid and had to pull apart the plug, its all good, center was +. I hooked up the center to + on the lab supply and the outer to -.

The ones that you would connect the frontpanel of the case to on the MB, this runs to the ON switch that would have been on the case, but since I didnt have one, I read up on it and found that you could short the pins momentarily. It works with the regular ATX supply.

but it did that every time (i only tried it 3 times on the large power supply - wasnt game to do it more than that with uni equipment). The manual said any 12V DC source, shouldn't it just pull as much current as it needs?

at minimum? I put ram in and tried that and later hooked up a HDD (because I also read that some ATX supplies wont start without another 'load'). The board has a cpu in it too.

Yes, the mobo worked and I installed an OS onto it. lol since I didnt have a frontpanel, I had to switch it on and off with a screwdriver shorting the pins.

Looks like I will be testing the supply today :(

Any additional help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Marc W

I've worked with some (AT-style, mainly) supplies before that regulate based on the 5V load. Connecting just the +12V supply does not do the trick. If yours is similar, you could try putting a small load (1K resistor or such) on the 5V or 3.3V lines and see if that improves things.

Reply to
Travis Hayes

Thanks for your input Travis,

I understand what you mean but I dont know 'where' you mean. I plugged a HDD into it which didnt really change things, and HDD's are quite a load!

This thing was plugged into the MB when I was testing, probably not smart but I was impatient. The MB is ok as it turns out.

I dont really want to attach resistances between the ATX supply and the MB just in case that causes the MB to fire up unsafely, thusly voiding the warranty.

This ATX supply should be a stand-alone supply (as it is advertised), the instructions say +12V DC into the supply, hook it into the MB, stick in a HDD and it should work. Maybe instead of a lab supply I should go for a 12V out power pack as it suggests, but it also says that any supply will do.

I believe it to be the fact that I had overload protection on the lab supplies, with a powerpack it may allow it to draw the necessary current. I will let you all know how it goes!

Thanks aga> > > >Hi all,

Reply to
Marc W