DeVry & CET

I'm looking into attending DeVry, and seeing if anyone has any information on thier CET (Computer Engineering Technology) program. I went
there and after looking around and having an interview, they said that would probly be best for me. Anyways, what EXACTLY would I get out of CET? What kinds of jobs can I look forward to after I graduate? And is it worth it? The cost (at the end of 3 years) would come to around $50k+ (so I would be in some debt).
The person I talked to said that 'Technology' is better than just a normal Computer Engineering degree. Is this true?
Anyways, thanks for any help
50K? How much is the stuff from the local communicty college. To me it's sounds like quite a bit.

on thier CET (Computer Engineering Technology) program. I went

would probly be best for me. Anyways, what EXACTLY would I get out of

worth it? The cost (at the end of 3 years) would come to around

Computer Engineering degree. Is this true?

Of course he said that. DeVry is a "technology" rather than engineering school. Many of their technology programs are ABET accredited, so that means they meet at least some level of quality. They do not offer Engineering degrees, so of course they will tell that their product is better.
In my opinion, you will have much more opportunity for advancement with an ABET engineering degree than with a technology degree. Of course you will have to invest more time, and likely money, into an engineering degree. I doubt you can earn one in 3 years (many are taking 4.5 to 5 years now).
Charles Perry P.E.

This is from my perspective of some 30++ years in engineering and management - I'm a confessed over-the-hill fuddy-duddy - and my views may not match those with a different perspective.
An 'ET' degree will land you a job half way between a tech and an engineer. Realize this is not an accredited degree in engineering. You won't have much of a future with this degree, probably worse than no degree as you may find yourself slotted at 'Tech' for life.

Waste of time and money, IMHO. Better to go to the local state university and get an honest BSEE - probably cost less than $50K, too.
An EE (or ChemE or MechE ...) is your best bet as it gives you great flexibility. There are very few schools that teach actual 'Computer Engineering' - MIT, Case, Cal Tech, Penn ... - and most employers can't tell it from a degree in 'Computer Science', a degree in (mostly business) software.

Yeah, and from MIT, too, I suppose.

No. Of course not. Name the CEO's with a CET degree...
Think about what this clown is selling - CET degrees, right? What do you think he is going to say?
If you want a _really_ valuable technical degree take a 'classical' undergrad degree (Latin, Greek, rhetoric & greats - think 19th century, with a math minor) and then get a masters in EE. The more liberal arts matter you have in your engineering/scientific education the better.

As always, worth price charged.
--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Thanks for the info guys. It's helped me enormously in making my decision.
I've actually seen the same "sales" pitch given to other people. Devry has some good courses but they are not worth $50K IMO.
I would strongly advise you to look at your local Community College (like College of San Mateo) and see if they have the entry level program (basic engineering and computer science). Do these courses and then transfer the credits to DeVry to finish off your Degree/CET progam.
Firstly, it'll save you a bunch of money. Secondly it'll probably set you up to try a few different parts of Engineering that you may not have been exposed to (which is always a good thing). It will also put you in the running to go to any other school once you are ready (State schools are good here in Northern California).
To answer all of your questions.
Is is worth it ? The question you have to ask yourself is, "Do I like making stuff and messing around with electronics/software" ? You have to be very honest with yourself about what you like doing and where you see yourself in the future. NEVER go into a field because there is a $$$$ tag attached to it. You will never be happy if that is the case since money is secondary to the need/desire of something intellectually challenging.
Is a "technology" course better than a "Computer Enginnering" Degree. Again, this depends on what you want to do with the Degree. Technology allows you to speak the language of Engineers but never puts you in the position of being an 'engineer'. If you think that you will be entering the tech. sector with a slant towards sales/marketing or some other field, then "technology" may be a good choice. If, however, you wish to go into software engineering, I would go with the Computer Science Degree.
All said and done, it is hard for me or anyone to give you advice without knowing you or what drives you (and the specifics of the courses). I would talk to some Engineers in person and also some Career advisors (College of San Mateo would be a good place to start). You should also go and have an informal talk with the Lectures of various courses [and definitely go to different schools for opinions!]. The Lecturers are always very helpful in guiding new students in their pursuits.
Please don't take the choice of courses lightly. This will affect the rest of your life, so you need to be clear about it. Take your time in talking to people and seeking professional careers advice and also think about it carefully. You have the rest of your life to enjoy the "right choice"!
Gareth.
face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; <BR>&gt; I'm looking into attending DeVry, and seeing if anyone has any information on thier CET (Computer Engineering Technology) program. I went<BR>&gt; there and after looking around and having an interview, they said that would probly be best for me. Anyways, what EXACTLY would I get out of<BR>&gt; CET? What kinds of jobs can I look forward to after I graduate? And is it worth it? The cost (at the end of 3 years) would come to around<BR>&gt; $50k+ (so I would be in some debt).<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The person I talked to said that 'Technology' is better than just a normal Computer Engineering degree. Is this true?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Anyways, thanks for any help<BR>&gt;</FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=
The best way to determine what degree to obtain is to look at what interests you. Do a job search (on monster.com for example) and find the requirements necessary positions that interest you. If you're not sure what type of job you want, then it may be better with a more general degree (University).
Devry is funded partly by your tuition, and mostly by funds from industry. Again finding out what company you want to work with will help. If you don't know then don't limit yourself.
It's always easier to switch from a university to a college, than vise versa (Devry is a college). Universities are VERY strict in what courses can be transferred. A university degree will give you a very broad spectrum of education. Quite often when I take a job I'm only using about 10-25% of all the knowledge I obtained in uni. This gives me the ability to explore new fields (or careers), if I so desire. Plus if you want to go to grad school, then university is a must.
Devry will give you a better education than a college funded by the government, but their degrees are nowhere near a university degree.
If you have any further inquires, please don't hesitate to ask.
Dwayne MSc. EE