seeking an engineer

Well, since I didn't see anything prohibiting it in the online FAQs I'm going to go ahead and post my needs and deal with the fallout.

I am the Chief Computer Engineer at a rural Pennsylvania firm that develops robotics applications. I seek someone with the following qualifications:

  • a candidate who understands both core computer science and electro-mechanical engineering issues.

  • should have expertise in C/C++ programming (solid OO programming) on multiple platforms

  • candidate should be fluent in programming of at least one brand of micro-controller or FPGA

  • candidate should understand embedded programming using both linux and microsoft technologies

  • practical experience with JAVA J2SE is desired

  • ideal candidate will understand PWM motor and lighting control as well as current wireless communications technologies

  • looking for an engineer with at least three years of practical industry experience (not entry level)

*** Candidate must be a US citizen and pass a background check ***

If you feel you have the required experience and would like to know more then please call me no earlier than May 2nd at 814-467-9060x232 to discuss.

Principals only; absolutely no third parties!

Reply to
noone

Right. No business name, no return address, and you want a really good engineer to move to a rural area of Pennsylvania.

And you want J2SE, C/C++, FPGA programming, plus motor control and electromechanical design.

I'm actually qualified, but you couldn't afford me.

John Nagle Animats

no> Well, since I didn't see anything prohibiting it in the online FAQs I'm

Reply to
John Nagle

Um, you missed the clue:

Phonebook results for 814-467-9060 Kuchera Defense Systems Inc, (814) 467-9060, 345 Pomroys Dr, Windber, PA 15963

Mapping it shows a place near Johnstown, PA - purports to be in business since 1985.

Couple of hours east of Pittsburgh.

Don't know exactly why it's there, but at least Pittsburgh and CMU are within 2 hours.

Reply to
rwhyre

Not exactly a hotbed for leading edge robotics (or defense) research, or an attractive place to live. Good luck finding a pool of willing talent.

Reply to
Shawn B.

And no range of salary....LOL

Employers need to realize that a good engineer costs money...and his time is valuable.

Playing twenty questions in regards to a salary range guarantees no worthwhile applicants.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Where's the beef? How many job notices do you see in the classifieds or in the job postings at Web sites have salary ranges? You'll encounter them for municipal jobs, because they have a variety of EO disclosure laws to comply with, but private business is not so encumbered.

Many job notices also do not include company names. The use of blind reply boxes is quite common, especially in competitive industries. The help wanteds is a classic way for competitors to know where you're heading. While it doesn't give me a warm feeling the OP used a fake e-mail address, considering I now get about 650 spams a day, mostly because of Usenet posts, I can't I blame him (or her).

I don't get you guys. A company is wanting to expand and all you do is complain that the firm is not advertising the fact to all its competitors.

PA is not a hotbed for the robotics engineer? Hmmmmm. On the map looks like this Johnstown, PA is easy driving distance from Pittsburgh. Just how insignificant is the Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon, anyway?

Just so you know: I have no connection with this outfit and I don't know who you are, but let's not frighten away the very, *very* few employers that we do manager to get here.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

Urp...who *they* are. We already know all about you, TMT!

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

Who...me!?!?! ;

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

posting salary in a usenet search is extremely premature and I don't want to interview anyone who reduces the opportunity to "how much?" just as I have no interest in working with recruiters, who on a preliminary contact, ask me how much I cost. I want to know the merits of the position and quality of benefits BEFORE discussing money and I more respect candidates who share that view. Besides which, as a technical employee negotiating salaries is outside of my realm of responsibility.

My policy is that I don't post real email addresses on usenet. The phone number should be adequate for anyone who shows interest.

I really don't want to get into the whole "where is the cutting edge work done?" debate because I believe I know the field and arguing with anonymous folks in an online forum isn't productive.

-regards

Reply to
noone

Some Usenet etiquette: Quote inline when you're conversing with that person. It is the written equivalent of a conversion. Not everyone reads threads from the beginning, and responding to MY message makes it appear as if you're having the disagreement with me. Respond to the various replies you received in turn, or post a general response.

As for "anonymous folks," while I don't agree with many of the points the others made, signing your message with at least your first name wouldn't have revealed anything. A common courtesy tends to be rewarded with courtesy.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

I'm not sure looking for a good job is supposed to be neat and easy and quick. Saying anything more than "salary commensurate with experience/education" doesn't really get you far, is not common in job postings, and it's assumed anyway. Frankly, for what they're looking for I'd ask for more than the going rate. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's not like postings for robotics-oriented jobs are a dime a dozen, you know.

OTOH, I do agree that the absense of any specifics on a worldwide Usenet group leaves something to be desired. At a minimum the posting should have indicated the general area and the first name of the person to ask for.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb

Not to press the issue Gorden, but I know that Carnegie Mellon is in the same state, but to compare that area to say Boston or other hotbeds would be a major stretch to say the least. I live within a stones throw from some major robotics companies outside Boston, iRobot and Foster-Miller to name a few of the more well known. As you know we have our own little university here called MIT. Unlike other areas with a major technology university, I wouldn't exactly call Pittsburgh a hotbed for technology jobs. If I were looking for a robotics engineering job, I wouldn't be looking in PA or WV or ND or MT, or many other markets. There may be one or two robotics companies scattered around in other places, but to uproot and move a family for a career, you have to worry about what happens if the company goes under or you lose your job. I'd hate to move to a market where there are none to limited other opportunities within my career focus. On top of that, personally, you couldn't pay me enough to move anywhere near Pittsburgh.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn B.