Need multimeter: Do inexpensive ones allow testing through insulated wire?

Buh bye !!

Reply to
bw

10 years to go before official retirement age. I reckon I'm doing ok so far. Thanks for your concern.
Reply to
nidan.danny

Look forward to hearing from you.

Reply to
gearhead
Ï "David L. Jones" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá news:JSRxl.50046$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe20.iad...

(FlukeProducts)>> I have something similar, a detector bought from Lidl, that can detect

I still can't figure out how the wood detection works, the other two are quite obvious. It works anyway. I haven't seen in any special shop (from where I buy wholesale materials) any such tool of good quality, like a fluke. Only the largest one carries a professional line of multimeters, I don't remember the brand, but an european version of Fluke. I even measure the leakage resistance of a heating element with the megohm scale of a multimeter, and not with a Meger as it's *supposed* to be, FWIW, and usually an earth leakage trips the main GFCI, anyway.

Reply to
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

(FlukeProducts)>>> I have something similar, a detector bought from Lidl, that can detect

Stud finders do not detect the wood, they detect the difference in the density or "hollowness" of the wall just like you can by tapping on the wall and listening to the sound difference as you pass over a stud. Electricians found studs that way for many years before the detectors were available.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

(FlukeProducts)>>> I have something similar, a detector bought from Lidl, that can detect

Stud finders just use the change in capacitance (due to different dielectric constants) to detect the wood. Pretty basic stuff and not much to it at all. I layer out the board for and built one way back as a school project.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones