Need some quick testing

I've been (as I've had the chance) rewriting the software, Botd, that allows control of the robots here in my office from the web in
preparation for general release under the GPL or a BSD license.
I have at this point a very preliminary first cut, and would appreciate it if any of you could drop by and do some brief testing:
http://robot.swampgas.com:8081
The interface is hastily written in javascript and has NUMEROUS shortcomings, but I'm mainly interested in trying to get a feel for the range of browsers that it will work with (I've tested it with FF 1.5, IE 6, and Mozilla 1.7), as well as general stabilty. The previous interface was in Java, but I've dropped support for that interface (for now anyway -- really it would be easy enough to write an interface in any language that can do http requests).
While a "sessionful" mode is supported, the current mode is free-for-all control, and only one robot is curently online. This should change in the near future.
To run it, you'll need a reasonably modern browser with javascript support turned on. Cookies are used to save your nickname, but are not required.
That's it -- please email me if you have any comments or questions at the reply address in this posting (you'll need to de-obfuscate the address first).
Thanx in advance -- tAfkaks
--
(Replies: cleanse my address of the Mark of the Beast!)

Coauthor with Dennis Clark of "Building Robot Drive Trains".
A quick followup: the scrolling window used for chat and status messages has some known issues with older FF versions (prior to 1.5) and Mozilla 1.7x. I probably need a better approach than using a styled read-only textarea -- suggestions are welcome for drop-in replacements.
Cheers -- tAfkaks
--
(Replies: cleanse my address of the Mark of the Beast!)

Coauthor with Dennis Clark of "Building Robot Drive Trains".
Putting the wood board on the top of your ladder was a very wise thing to do. Do you have any touch sensor? I tried to open (the bathroom?) door but I couldn't... I was able to see myself on the mirror though... Very nice.
Cheers
Padu
Padu wrote:

The robot you were driving uses sonar, IR ranging, and as a last resort stall detection. If the door is open, you can usually use "cruise" to have the robot automatically thread it's way through.
I have drop-off sensors for the stairs as well, but my confidence in them performing 100% pefectly is, well, limited, thus the board.
--
(Replies: cleanse my address of the Mark of the Beast!)

wrote in

appreciate

the

IE

interface

anyway

language

all

Any chance of decreasing the turning angle, perhaps
Left (first) 15 deg Left (second) another 30 deg Left (third) another 45 deg
Any other commend resets to 15 deg
Or a slow [forward + left ] and [forward + right]
Would make initial navigation a little easier for me.
***
David Opencraft wrote: [snip]

Fairly soon, the turning radius will be variable via a slider from 0-90 degrees in either direction -- I realize this is a major irritation.
I'm really testing more for stability of the server side software and basic usability at this point. I'll post a note here when the variable turn feature is working.
Thnx for the feedback -- m
--
(Replies: cleanse my address of the Mark of the Beast!)

David Opencraft wrote: [snip]

Rotation is now controlled via a slider. You can rotate for 0-90 degrees in either direction by adjusting the slider control left ot right.
Cheers -- tAfkaks
--
(Replies: cleanse my address of the Mark of the Beast!)

The Artist Formerly Known as Kap'n Salty wrote:

That's much easier to drive. Had no issues. Nice collection of books...I was browsing while you were away. :-)
Shawn
Hi Michael,
On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 08:22:03AM -0500, The Artist Formerly Known as Kap'n Salty wrote:

Drat - it is offline! I was going to give you a test out using the Safari browser. I'll check back later.
-Brian
--
Brian Dean
ATmega128 based MAVRIC controllers
The Artist Formerly Known as Kap'n Salty wrote:

That was fun...nice job. Worked well for me with Firefox. I look forward to slider. Tried to knock on your chair to get your attention. It would be great to have a text to speech interface for it so we could talk to you through the bot.
Shawn
Shawn B. wrote:

It's there -- just haven't added it into the web page yet.
--
(Replies: cleanse my address of the Mark of the Beast!)

The Artist Formerly Known as Kap'n Salty wrote:

Very cool...I promise to say nice things.....yeah right. ;-)
Shawn

Just tried it for a few seconds -- very nice!