OT How expensive would it be to add wireless technology to a glucose meter?

I have a One Touch Ultra BG meter (Many testers are also free). It stores the time and date and the BG levels. It would be trivial to also store my router's password, my email address and my doctor's email address.

Many homes now have wireless networks. It seems like a pretty simple thing to add a USB port for a wireless USB adapter.

Add the technology to blood pressure meters and bathroom scales. One adapter, many devices.

With a USB port you could even feed information into the device with a flash drive.

Reply to
Metspitzer

I think bluetooth would be cheaper. Range is shorter though.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Great idea!!!

Reply to
me

One touch HAS a bit of software into which you can download the data from the device. Once there, you can transmit it to wherever you like.

Check the One-Touch web site.

I think they maybe took it down for liability reasons; If so, shoot me an email and I'll forward a copy.

Reply to
HeyBub

They do exist in hospitals, but from the looks of them, fairly expensive. They scan the patients wristband barcode, take the test data and transmit to the main computer in the patients record. Can handle multiple patients. You'd need one of the electronics guys to rig your meter though. Do you have software to collect the data?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Actually it is not that hard at all. Serial is a simple interface to use and implement and serial-2-usb adapters are cheap and easy to find. I have used 2 ZigBees to transmit data between a data-acquisition device and a computer with relative ease.

the manufacturer has no real reason besides the small cost to implement what you want.

Reply to
Jack Hammer

a BG meter with a USB port already exists

here is one that attaches to an iPhone with App

This site has info on 91 (yes, 91) manufacturers of BG meters, and brief info about each (I think there was 1 with Bluetooth)

(Google is your friend)

Reply to
Reed

There is at least one WiFi enabled glucose monitor on the market. Called something GlucoMon (I remember it because it sounded too much like Pokemon for my marketing tastes).

Yep and they would take their time. Especially in making sure that the WiFi signal wouldn't mess up the calculations. They have had some problems with cell signals interfering with hard-wired communications between the glucose monitor and insulin pumps, so this is probably something the FDA would look at closely.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

My insulin pump is an animas ping, it uses a BG meter/remote that tests your BG and calculates your insulin dose based on BG, BG + carbs

  • insulin on board and allows you to enter the carb amount manually, ie 32 grams of carbs or it allows you to select your food items from the Calorie King food data base loaded in the meter and it calculates everything for you. It sends and receives data to the pump and tells the pump what to bolus. Animas will send the data cable and software to download and upload data to the pump for free. You can then email the data to your doctor.

I also wear a dexcom CGMS that transmits wirelessly.

I use a 3g/4g phone with unlimited data and calls.

I also use a radio and am around other radios and radio equipment at work all day long.

There is no interference.

Reply to
GodIs