personal meter

Hi are there any meters around that you can use to check usage on a few devices in your home..i.e if you rent a room in your house and want the tenant to pay for his light usage.. req

Reply to
reqluq

kill-a watt.....

It would be easier to the math figuring all of the lights/load at 100% all of the time and include it into the price.

There would be nothing to stop someone from unplugging the kill a watt.

Reply to
SQLit

You can buy a real meter from Hialeahmeter.com for about $15-20. Reconditioned, tested and reset at zero.

Reply to
gfretwell

hi,

In our country, we can do so by installing new sub metering but depand on local authority approval. The things is owner should bare the cost for first metering and tenant need to pay to owner for sub metering depand on usage.

tks

magic

Reply to
magic

well I would run all the lines to a central point to the device,out of reach of the tenant,might take a bit of work but maybe worth it in the long run req

Reply to
reqluq

the kil-o-watt is a small plastic meter rated at 15A max.

check out e-con meter by E-Mon L. P. sure it will cost more but it wont burn your place down if properly installed.

Reply to
TimPerry

If your living in California, sub metering is allowed but you can not make any money off of it. You can recover the cost but that is all.

Running new wires to a central location, then adding in Utility grade metering seems like a lot of hassle for a rented room. Raise the rent $1.00 a day to cover the electrical expense.

Reply to
SQLit

well eventually it's going to be three rooms (2 efficiencies and 1 one bedroom that is),kids are all grown up and basically gone..ok sized house..I like the location so don't want to sell it,so I might as well make some money out of it..tenants will have their seperate property entrance so I never have to see 'em,so it will suit me fine..rent raise idea sounds good..will check all the options out thanks req

Reply to
reqluq