Power mains question: wire gauge

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Really? Even when they are across the production floor from the main breaker box? I can see you've never worked around a machine shop.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 22:53:50 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Certainly.

Certainly. Almost always.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Hell, we had six breaker boxes on the production floor at Microdyne for outlets for workbenches on a 200' * 190' production area. Then there was a power room with over 200 breakers for the other equipment.

Certainly that you've never worked in a machine shop?
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 11:05:03 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Wrong, of course. There was one panel with a separate drop for each tool.
BTW, did the OP specify a machine shop? I don't remember that part.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

That must have been a tiny shop.

He said he was going to suggest it to the owner, so who knows.
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 12:28:31 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Hardly, but you're dreaming again.

So why not 500KV? You never know?
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 15:08:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Why not put the compressor where the power is, and run an air hose? Then we could argue about ths size of the hose.
--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 13:50:29 -0800, John Larkin

Actually, that's what I plan to do. Put the compressor in the garage and pipe the air downstairs. 4" oughtta do it. ;-)
I just have to figure out how much work it's going to be (how things line up).
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 16:54:41 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

<snip>

4" really? How big it that compressor, 500 kW? Does it go over 3000'? Not that i am all that expert but that is the size of compressor and the run length i saw last time i saw one plumbed at 4". And that one was done by an expert.
?-)
On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 19:11:54 -0800, josephkk

Of course not. Michael is being silly with his suggestion of running #6 wire for the compressor. I thought I'd join in. For anything I've done, 1/2" Type-L copper is fine. That's probably what I'll use again but it's getting rather pricey.

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 22:57:50 -0500, the renowned snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Protectionism at work:- http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-09-27/u-s-sets-anti-dumping-duties-on-china-mexico-made-copper-piping-tubes.html
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 03:23:32 -0500, Spehro Pefhany

Unbelievable. With the housing market in the tank and commodities through the roof, what the housing market really needs *more* help from UncleS. <sheesh>
In sci.electronics.misc snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

it's a tough call as to what sucks more, mexi-narco pipes, chinese copper plated lead or the government meddling.
On Jan 2, 10:57pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

done

Well I'm not interested in being quarrelsome but would you mind explaining why you would use copper piping for air lines. Copper has gotten more pricy rather than recently pricey so it would seem to be rather a waste to use it for air. Help me out here. What am I missing?
--
Tom Horne

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 18:15:07 -0800 (PST), Tom Horne

A reasonable alternative.
On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 23:19:45 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I ran air around my shop and when I priced it out, 1/2" galvanized was cheaper than copper and a whole lot tougher. I was able to buy threaded pipe nipples in the sizes to do the whole thing without any threading dies.
On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 23:56:36 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It's far harder to do and *more* expensive, particularly if you don't do the threading yourself. Copper is getting expensive but it's still manageable and *simple* to work with.
On Jan 13, 11:19pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I've seen the pipe fitters install hundreds of feet of black iron on jobs with a lot of air in use such as assembly lines. What is wrong with that? Is it too expensive to install to be cost effective? I have been out of the big job work for over a decade now.
--
Tom Horne

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 21:02:19 -0800 (PST), Tom Horne

Down here black iron rusts up too fast. They even use galvanized for gas.
On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 21:02:19 -0800 (PST), Tom Horne

Black iron is incredibly expensive and impossible to work with.