Power mains question: wire gauge

Why not put the compressor where the power is, and run an air hose? Then we could argue about ths size of the hose.

Reply to
John Larkin

it's just to

Actually, that's what I plan to do. Put the compressor in the garage and pipe the air downstairs. 4" oughtta do it. ;-)

I just have to figure out how much work it's going to be (how things line up).

Reply to
krw

Hose? What's wrong with iron pipe? Good old fashioned black iron pipe. That has been beat to death on news:rec.crafts.metalworking

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I know that you're a fool.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Where is it in the NEC that you can 'spiral the wires'? They don't even allow you to tape them

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Where does it say I can't twist them as I feed them?

Reply to
Tom Biasi

You're the one inventing "machine shops" out of thin air. Go figure.

Reply to
krw

it's just to

Pressure would remain constant. Flow *can be* constricted over that distance.

Think hysteresis. Pressure does have a slight drop as one "loads" the available flow (stored energy). Once you cross that threshold and the flow rate becomes the bottleneck, pressure can drop on a continuous duty "draw".

Just run plastic pipe. They even have tool-free fittings for pneumatic service.

Reply to
DraconisExtinctor

Pretty expensive at the per foot level compared to modern plastic solutions.

And hose would work too.

Reply to
DraconisExtinctor

Cite that

Reply to
gfretwell

The plastic (PVC) I've seen is *not* recommended for air supply. It will shatter. Do you have other information? Cite?

Reply to
krw

Oh shit. not the plastic pipe for air thing!

Don't you know that will explode and kill everyone on the block.

This will be good for another 100 posts. ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Grainger is not an electrical distributor but if you have an account there with decent volume you will pay half or less of what they print in the catalog. I piggy backed into the IBM account and my price was ~40%.on most things.

Reply to
gfretwell

You should watch the "How It's Made" show on how they make big racing sails.

The point being that piping technology has come a long way since the stuff they use for water came out.

Sails have come a long way in the thousands of years it took us to get to that level.

It is a really good episode. You should check it out.

DraconisExtinctor

So you're back to what HD charges to every Tom, Dick, and Harry. Thank you.

Reply to
krw

PVC can shatter and fling bits at high velocity. Other plastics are better for air.

If a PVC pipe is pressurized by water, and it breaks, the shards have a much lower velocity than if the pipe carried air.

Reply to
John Larkin

Only takes about a fifteen foot length to toss over the rafter in the garage. One loop around the neck, a little hop off the step ladder, and you won't need any wire any more.

Reply to
AwlSome Auger

Reply to
John Fields

You're as clueless as Michael. Actually more, since I corrected the tupo some time back.

Reply to
krw

Reply to
John Fields