Power mains question: wire gauge

Conduit is mentioned in the leadoff post by OP. The cost of putting in conduit almost completely swamps the wire gauge issue.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I am not sure where, but look up motor start loads and regulation. It may not be precisely discussed in NEC but for many motors droop during start is an issue, and a 100' run can have an excess of that. The sizing issue is about start conditions as well as run conditions.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Of course not. Michael is being silly with his suggestion of running #6 wire for the compressor. I thought I'd join in. For anything I've done, 1/2" Type-L copper is fine. That's probably what I'll use again but it's getting rather pricey.

Reply to
krw

Agreed, sorta. PVC isn't too bad, though. This whole thing has gotten absurd.

Reply to
krw

Those who are always wrong, are certainly stupid, AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

Why do you think conduit so expensive? I pay about $23 a hundred for 1/2" EMT

Reply to
gfretwell

Protectionism at work:-

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
John Fields

Unbelievable. With the housing market in the tank and commodities through the roof, what the housing market really needs *more* help from UncleS.

Reply to
krw

You're just helpless.

Reply to
krw

That's not terrible, no. How much is the labor to install it?

Reply to
krw

About the same as PVC and a little more than Romex but Romex may not be acceptable. EMT is the standard for shops. Cheap, durable and fairly easy to install. PVC may actually end up being more expensive by the time you buy all the bends and fittings

Reply to
gfretwell

As long as nobody sees you do it but it is not legal.

300.18 Raceway Installations. (A) Complete Runs. Raceways, other than busways or exposed raceways having hinged or removable covers, shall be installed complete between outlet, junction, or splicing points prior to the installation of conductors.
Reply to
gfretwell

He decided it was 3hp

Reply to
gfretwell

it's a tough call as to what sucks more, mexi-narco pipes, chinese copper plated lead or the government meddling.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

That is true. The NEC motor tables in 430 have been unchanged since the Howdy Doody days. Motor technology has marched on.

Reply to
gfretwell

Reply to
John Fields

Really? S.E.D having an absurd conversation? What's your point?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

You guys are all pretty ridiculous calling each other names and such, but at least you know how to trim a post. Thanks. It makes it easier to get through this crap.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

If you place a pipe, then a fitting and then another pipe, it will be a single, integrated unit.

I do not know what you think it is I suggested, but all I refer to is that you can assemble the piping in place. It is easier (in some cases) to walk ten or twenty 8 foot segments down a wire bundle than it is to feed the wire bundle down the entire 200' run.

The finished result is exactly the same.

As far as 'build then string wires' goes, I think it is pretty stupid and more than a bit too much of the too many chiefs syndrome.

The chance of nicking a line (in metal pipes) is greater for a pulled wire than my suggested method. I sure would be interested to know what they are crying about. I can see where it would cause a problem on runs which are enclosed in buildings (if even possible to do), but an open buried run should be easy to do my way, and even better in some instances.

Reply to
SoothSayer