Power mains question: wire gauge

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 11:12:59 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

<...> >> >> No, simply giving you back some of your "logic".

You should. Obviously.

It doesn't matter what *YOU* have on hand. #12 works just fine and is about 1/3 the cost of #10.

Almost *NEVER*. In this case, it's *STUPID* to even suggest it.

Wrong. There is no corners cut at all. You're lying, just to make some sort of point. You're wrong. Step up to it.

What *YOU* did *100 YEARS* ago is irrelevant.
On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 11:36:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Grainger is not an electrical distributor but if you have an account there with decent volume you will pay half or less of what they print in the catalog. I piggy backed into the IBM account and my price was ~40%.on most things.
On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 14:05:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

So you're back to what HD charges to every Tom, Dick, and Harry. Thank you.

On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 16:48:52 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Only takes about a fifteen foot length to toss over the rafter in the garage. One loop around the neck, a little hop off the step ladder, and you won't need any wire any more.
AwlSome Auger wrote:

Then show us how, dimmie. The roof is only 9.5 feet off the floor.
On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 18:39:56 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

You tie off to the floor. Up and over the rafter... Form a loop. Just enough for you to need to climb up a step or two to put your head into it..
Better make it at least two though. You'd warp the rafter down enough that one step wouldn't do the job... lard ass.
AwlSome Auger wrote:

You're as ignorant as KRW. Not all garages have 'rafters' that you can "up and over". Ever hear of a "PITTSBURG ROOF"?

You're as ignorant as KRW, and not everyone is a lard ass like you..

How about run what you need now with a pull string included?

I think we have a winner!
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

How much wire have you pulled?
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 18:28:00 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Enough to know I detest anything approaching 36 wire. An a appeal to authority? Come on.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

"approaching 36 wire"?
I've run into a lot of places where they had a pullsting in with wires. It gets wrapped around the wires as it's pulled in, then srticks to the inside of the conduit if they use pulling lube. Attempting to pull in more wire doesn't work too well if there are any bends in the conduit. The last pullstring I ran into was with some fiber optic cables. I had to pull everything out of the conduit because they were tangled. Then I had to use the fiber to pull in a piece of Cat5 cable which was used to pull the fiber back, with several Cat5 cables.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 23:02:54 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

I didn't get the shift key pressed for the '#', but you knew that.

I guess anything can happen if you don't know what you're doing.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

You end up living in Alabama.
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 11:06:30 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

I don't live in Alabama, fool.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

You did, and you decided to move there so you're the fool.
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 12:26:28 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

More dry humping from Michael. I hope you feel better soon.

That's been my (limited) experience too.
On 12/31/2012 1:40 AM, DaveC wrote:

Those things can happen but they have never happened to me if I was the one to run the wire and string.

The biggest thing is to make sure the wires go in straight. Kinks or twists will make life miserable later. I've seen people pull Romex off the center of the roll, without unrolling it. It makes a mess; bad enough when pulling through rafters but it's a disaster in conduit.