Power mains question: wire gauge

That's the best idea I've heard yet.
Sadly, he had already located the compressor, installed the air lines, hooked it up before calling me to wire it. He placed it right next to the main air-user, the mechanic's bays. (It's an auto repair shop.)
Dave (OP)
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I know that you're a fool.
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 17:40:35 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

You're the one inventing "machine shops" out of thin air. Go figure.
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 14:57:19 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

If it's 1/2HP, now, it's unlikely to grow to >5HP.

Run several #12s, instead, when needed. It's cheaper.

Pull additional #12s in the future? I've had bad experience pulling additional conductors in a conduit with existing conductors.
If I misunderstand your statement, please try again. ;-)
Thanks.

No. A bundle of a few 12s will make a nice oversized #10. The finished 'wire' will be stronger and more flexible too.
Of course, the return has to match. So you pull all 7 at once.
Two sets of 3 #12s and one #12 fault return. Seven wires.

Conduit?

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 16:40:07 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Conduit is mentioned in the leadoff post by OP. The cost of putting in conduit almost completely swamps the wire gauge issue.
?-)
On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 19:16:15 -0800, josephkk

Agreed, sorta. PVC isn't too bad, though. This whole thing has gotten absurd.
On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 22:58:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Why do you think conduit so expensive? I pay about $23 a hundred for 1/2" EMT
On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 01:45:29 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's not terrible, no. How much is the labor to install it?
On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 09:28:48 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

About the same as PVC and a little more than Romex but Romex may not be acceptable. EMT is the standard for shops. Cheap, durable and fairly easy to install. PVC may actually end up being more expensive by the time you buy all the bends and fittings

Really? S.E.D having an absurd conversation? What's your point?
Rick

Hey, the less the content, the longer the thread. This is post #120, and it was decided long ago that the OP can use 12 or 14 gage wire.
--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I've never seen a 240 volt compressor it a 1/2 HP motor 2 HP is common, and go on up as the capacity increases. A local business recently switched from multiple 2 HP 240 VAC 60 gallon compressors to a pair of 480 VAC three phase units with 120 gallon tanks that are set upi to run their entire production line from one unit. It was the old EDCO factory that Emerson closed a few years ago..

Cheaper? When did yo go over to the 'Do it any way but right' side?
It's not cheaper when the extra labor and increased material costs are added for doing the job more than once. If you didn't size the conduit for more wire, you'll have to rip it all out & start over.
Then there's the cost of a bribe to get the inspector to look the other way.
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 16:49:01 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

I've seen a *lot* of 1/2HP motors used for power tools that can be wired either way.

Rather irrelevant.

I always do it the right way. The "right way" depends on the situation. I guess the "right side" is universal, though, but it's also right.

It's a *lot* cheaper. #6 is a PITA to work with. No thanks!

Now you're throwing in random costs.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

On an air compressor?
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 20:52:31 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Sure. Most small fractional horse induction motors can be.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Those are toys, but they might be acceptable to amateur woodworkers. The ONLY thing I use a compressor that small for is to blow dust out of a computer.
On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 18:24:36 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Yup or to run an air brush or a finish nailer. You could air up tires if it had a decent storage tank. You are not running am impact wrench very much, you might be able to keep up with a finish nailer but an air grinder/sander or a real paint gun is out of the question.