Power mains question: wire gauge

I've not had much success with pulling new conductors in a cable with existing conductors. I found that the pull string doesn't lay nicely along side the conductor when installed, instead threading itself through the conductors. When it comes time to use the pull thread, the new conductors intertwine with the existing ones... a real mess.

Unless there's a trick to this that I've not heard about...

Thanks.

Reply to
DaveC

That's been my (limited) experience too.

Reply to
DaveC

YES!!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Those things can happen but they have never happened to me if I was the one to run the wire and string.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Sigh. He's RETIRED. He built more than cabinets in his home shop. He has more than a nailer that needs compressed air in his shop. Go hump someone else's leg.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hell, we had six breaker boxes on the production floor at Microdyne for outlets for workbenches on a 200' * 190' production area. Then there was a power room with over 200 breakers for the other equipment.

Certainly that you've never worked in a machine shop?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You end up living in Alabama.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Wrong, of course. There was one panel with a separate drop for each tool.

BTW, did the OP specify a machine shop? I don't remember that part.

Reply to
krw

I don't take pain killers. None are prescribed.

I'd run the 10. I have 14, 12 & 10 on hand. I use 14 for light circuits, 12 for most 120V outlets, and 10 for the longer or heavier loads. There is 75 feet of #6 run to the well house.

In your limited experience.

You cut lots of corners and do everything on the edge of failure. Labor cost more than the materials, so the difference in the total build is small.

Of course you yawn. That's a requirement of the initial specs for public buildings, everywhere that I've lived & worked.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So it's not a "machine shop". Giggle. Get real, Michael.

You're the one doing the humping, Michael.

Reply to
krw

I don't live in Alabama, fool.

Reply to
krw

Not anymore. He worked for a schoolboard in their maintenece complex. They had a MACHINE SHOP, cabinet shop and garage where they did maintenece on all their vehicles. They had in house support for everything except new costruction & roofing

Keep showing your petty ignorance.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You did, and you decided to move there so you're the fool.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That must have been a tiny shop.

He said he was going to suggest it to the owner, so who knows.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Some people also pull THHN or CAT5 off the box spool the same way, also makes a mess. It takes more time but if you spiral (cable) your bundle the pull cord will not get mixed. Never has for me.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Hardly, but you're dreaming again.

So why not 500KV? You never know?

Reply to
krw

Still dry humping? Come on, Michael. Drop it already.

Reply to
krw

More dry humping from Michael. I hope you feel better soon.

Reply to
krw

The biggest thing is to make sure the wires go in straight. Kinks or twists will make life miserable later. I've seen people pull Romex off the center of the roll, without unrolling it. It makes a mess; bad enough when pulling through rafters but it's a disaster in conduit.

Reply to
krw

You should. Obviously.

It doesn't matter what *YOU* have on hand. #12 works just fine and is about 1/3 the cost of #10.

Almost *NEVER*. In this case, it's *STUPID* to even suggest it.

Wrong. There is no corners cut at all. You're lying, just to make some sort of point. You're wrong. Step up to it.

What *YOU* did *100 YEARS* ago is irrelevant.

Reply to
krw