Quick determination of RF output? (car remote)

I've heard of a quick way to check IR remotes: put an phototrans. in an oscilloscope input and use it to check for IR transmisison.

Any suggestions of a similar quick determination of RF output from a common car remote control?

Clifford IntelliGuard 200 alarm + "glass break" sensor option.

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

Dave C: A small coil (several turns) of wire...... both ends hooked to a scope probe and ground lead.... observe waveform on a wide enough bandwidth scope.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

------------------------------

Reply to
Sofie

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:10:28 -0700, Sofie wrote (in message ):

Thanks.

I should have mentioned that I only have a 20 MHz scope.

Any tricks to look at an unknown frequency signal just to get an idea if it's transmitting using a modest scope?

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

DaveC: Even a 20MHz scope will produce some response at a higher frequency but of course it will be at a lower level because it is outside of the calibrated specified bandwidth. I have a 100MHz scope that I regularly use to check my Ham Radio equipment at 144 MHz and 220 MHz. Give it a try...... if you can see some kind of waveform when you key the transmitter then I would guess that it is working..... or at least putting out energy..... of course the digital coding or frequency could be incorrect due to other faults in the car remote circuitry.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

Reply to
Sofie

or point it at your web cam/video cam - which typically can see bright IR sources.

Reply to
CWatters