Raceways

I'm going to have a pole building type barn built. Can I place non-metallic conduit under the concrete slab before it's poured such that it can be utilized as an electrical raceway? All I want to do is distribute some power to an electrical floor lift that will be in the middle of one of the

12 foot wide bays. thanx

Don

Reply to
Don S.

Yes, PVC conduit is designed for just such a purpose.

Reply to
Rich.

Another question. Does he have to use expansion fittings for pvc that will be in concrete?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Expansion fittings are required only were the raceway will be exposed to marked changes in temperature such as when installed above ground outdoors. The total temperature range beneath a poured concrete slab on grade isn't at all likely to be great enough to need them. In over forty years in the craft I have never seen expansion fittings installed below grade.

-- Tom Horne

Reply to
Tom Horne

Encased IN concrete or run under a concrete slab? How long of a run? Does the conduit cross any building expansion joints?

Reply to
Rich.

I don't know the particulars. It was just a hypothetical question.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I'm not try to bust your hump, but knowing the particulars can mean the difference between a correct or an incorrect answer.

Reply to
Rich.

I figure I should put the nonmetallic conduit in a trench below the concrete before it is poured. The run probably won't be more than 30 ft. There are no building expansion joints. Also, is this something the inspector needs to see before I pour the slab?

Don

Reply to
Don S.

Yes the inspector needs to see it before the slab is poured.

Reply to
Rich.