Re: Do cathodic J boxes have to be Class I div I?

I agree. The problem is that the NEC rules apply, but the NFPA again for the 2002 NEC rejected adding cathodic wiring to the Code. The Canadian Code has an Article for Cathodic Protection that has identification rules so Cathodic wiring is not mistaken for grounding wiring. It is my understanding that at one very large oil terminal in Alaska the electricians mistakenly used the cathodic anode header wire located in a cable tray for the grounding conductor. Since the cathodic anode wire is a single conductor running completely separate from the cathodic conductor that is attached to the tanks and underground pipes it is sometimes difficult to differentiate between the two.

> > J boxes for a 75 volt impressed current cathodic circuit are locatecd > in a > > Class 1, Dvision 1 location. Do they have to be explosion proof? > > > > > I would say "Yes" - 75 volts is well above the threshold for intrinsic > safety. If the box has to be within the hazardous area, then I'd be > surprised if it didn't have to be rated. > > What does the local authority think ? > > Bill > > >
Reply to
Gerald Newton