How old do you have to be to do Lego Mindstorms?

The Lego Mindstorm page was extremely confusing. I am a programmer and I found it very difficult to find anything on the language used. I also found so many differerent variations and suites to program the robots that I got lost.

All I really need to if a 7 and 10 year old can do them.

I saw several languages:

RCX Pilot Investigator and on and on

One of the languages or interfaces looked visual, no programming - typing code.

I'm really lost. Thanks for direction.

Is there a better site than the Lego Mindstorm homepage? Its forums were terrible.

Reply to
jm

The box says 12+ for the Robotics invention system. The Droid developer kit and Dark side developer kit are for ages 9+.

The programming is visual. You drag and drop blocks onto the screen. There's a fantastic tutorial.

I'm 43 and am not having a problem . I program with my 7 yo and my 4 yo. The 7yo has an idea. The 4 yo creates random program (he drags and drops blocks and we see what happens).

If you're willing to get involved, it's a lot of fun.

The programming is easy. I think building things that stay together is the hardest part.

Reply to
Rex Macey