Re: flickering lights

Hello,

> Can someone help me please. > The lights in my house started flickering about a week ago and I have called > the Electric Co. > to check out the problem. As usual, they said the problem was in the house > and not in there lines. > The light surge and sometiimes almost go out. I have a ceiling fan in my > living room, and sometimes it slows down to almost off. > Anyone have an idea of what could be the problem. > > thank you
95 percent of house wiring problems such as the one you mention can be eliminated by tightening the connections in the panel and service.
Reply to
Gerald Newton

If you're confident enough in your abilities, then you need to check the neutral connections in the panel and service.

The power company is responsible for all the wiring up to the line side of the meter terminals and the meter itself - anything beyond is your responsibility.

If you're not sure how to proceed, get an electrician in there. A couple hunnert bux may be better than the alternative.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Dahle

I had the same problem in my house and when the man from the utility came out he found that one of the hot lines to the house had opened. The open was at their under ground connection box near the street. The buried cable from the box to the house is aluminum and he said it's not uncommon for connections to corrode open.

ARM

Reply to
Alan McClure

Lick the tips of your fingers and try to push them in the sockets... Be sure and ground yourself first.

Try searching all the sex groups and see if the answer's there.

Then, go the groups: misc.consumers.house alt.home.repair alt.building.construction

They have FAQs on electric wiring...suitable for electrician understanding.

Reply to
Hippie

WHAT???

understanding.

Reply to
Jan Proebstel

In article , spd7 @bellatlantic.net says... | Hello, | Can someone help me please. | The lights in my house started flickering about a week ago and I have called | the Electric Co. | to check out the problem. As usual, they said the problem was in the house | and not in there lines. | The light surge and sometiimes almost go out. I have a ceiling fan in my | living room, and sometimes it slows down to almost off. | Anyone have an idea of what could be the problem. | | thank you Ask around your neighbours, see if they are seeing similar problems. Last year we started having similar problems and a couple of weeks later a main supply cable blew up just down the road.

If no one else is affected, then it indicates the problem will most likely be inside your house wiring. If all circuits seem to be affected then most likely it will be at or where your main supply arrives.

In which case I would suggest you call in an expert as soon as possible.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield