Re: Power Line Question...

Nature

> > I wonder if some one out there knows what the round ball looking attachments > are that they put on the power lines in an area here in Austin Texas. These > are on the power line wires along the freeway near a military installation > were I see aircrafts (planes and possibly helicopters). Would these round > objects have been placed on the power lines to mark their locations so the > aircrafts don't hit them or possibly direction markers for the aircrafts? > --------------------------------------------------------------------- > [Image] > --------------------------------------------------------------------- > [Image]

The balls are warnings for the planes. You'll see the same thing around civilian airports. There is one place here that is an airport for crop dusters only. Warning balls are there too, I think.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

NatureIt depends; the orange balls are what you susptect, but there are others, too, of different colors, usually dull. Those are to spoil resonant frequencies so the wires don't vibrate and whip in the wind.

Pop

[...]

Most likely warning markers for aircraft. Power lines can be darn near invisible against other ground objects when seen from above.

But I've also seen such balls put on lines temporarily near construction sites that use cranes a lot. Provide some extra visibility for the crane operator to avoid them.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

You are right. They mark the lines for aircraft. Very common in mountain areas, such as Colorado, where the lines span canyons.

Reply to
Rich256

Cool, that's what I thought. Thanks Dean...

Reply to
Soul Bandit