Grounding A200 Hobart food mixer

I am cleaning up an old 20 quart mixer to sell. The power cord was frazzled. No apparent ground wire connection. Insulation was off one of the wires coming out of the capacitor holder, and sparks once about four inches away near a spade connector (noticed the spark before the bared wire). Two questions, one, can I just drill a hole into the case to attach the grounding wire? And two, does it seem likely the spark will go away if I either use some heat shrink insulation on the bared wire, or should I make an effor to replace the whole wire?

Reply to
dlc6j

Replace the wire.

I have not done commercial kitchen equipment in a long time. I would be surprised if the mixer was originally made with out a ground. Or is it that ancient? Ohm the motor and make sure there is not a path to the frame/case. Then find a bolt or screw to attach the round ring terminal that your going to put on the ground wire.

Reply to
SQLit

Thanks for your reply, and reminding me to install a ring terminal on all the power cord leads, including the ground. I am an electrical idiot, so I wonder if you could explain both how (I have an ohm meter) and the significance of checking the resistance of the motor to the case. I assume you are saying there should be infinite resistance on both sides of the motor? Can I just check off the wires either coming off the capacitor or at the switch? And what if the non hot lead terminal shows no resistance? Hope I am on the right track here and not beyond help. Thanks, Dennis

Reply to
dlc6j