really neat electrical wiring - not!

Look at the utility pole in the right side of the picture. Click on the picture to get the full view and zoom in on it. Something makes me think that not all of this was wired up by the utility.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

You picture(s) are taking much too long to download.

BUT you have to understand that by law utilities have to share "pole space" with each other.

So on one pole you might have:

1) one or two high voltage (sometimes with different voltages) feeders. 2) low voltage (120/240) stuff 3) Telephone Cable 4) Cable Television Cable 5) Fibre Optic Cable

All but #1 will have customer "service drops." Because of the diversity of trade skills required, you might have 4 or 5 different sets of crews installing and serving this stuff.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
John Gilmer

| You picture(s) are taking much too long to download.

They are at the domain referenced. I didn't have any trouble downloading them.

| BUT you have to understand that by law utilities have to share "pole space" | with each other.

Of course. And assuming the same law exists in Myanmar, that would still mean only electric, telephone, and cable TV utilities would be allowed to do that. The average citizne would not be allowed (to the extent they bother to enforce this) to wire up their own electricity.

| So on one pole you might have: | | 1) one or two high voltage (sometimes with different voltages) feeders. | 2) low voltage (120/240) stuff | 3) Telephone Cable | 4) Cable Television Cable | 5) Fibre Optic Cable | | All but #1 will have customer "service drops." Because of the diversity | of trade skills required, you might have 4 or 5 different sets of crews | installing and serving this stuff.

The really bad wiring on that pole could be either utility piracy, or poor quality on the part of the utility workers. Regardless of the latter, I do suspect there is a lot of the former in that location of the world.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Could be.

1) Cable companies often use contractors and VERY often do very bad work including not bothering the bury cables. The telephone folks do a much better job.

2) In real 3rd world conditions folks will try to steal utility service and if they can't do that, they will try to steal the wires and pipes. I have see it with my own eyes in VN.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
John Gilmer