RSLinx questions

In PLC-to-HMI interface applications, in my past experience, when I had to interface brand A PLC to brand B HMI, it was a matter of making sure the right drivers were available and installed on the computers running the HMI. There was no need to use additional network management software.

I'm haven't networked Allen-Bradley PLCs together, but I've noticed that Rockwell Software seems to have a different approach: it evidently uses RSLinx as essential network configuration and management software.

So I have a few questions:

  1. Am I right about this? RSLinx is RS' network config. & mgmt. software?

  1. When using Allen-Bradley PLCs, when MUST RSLinx be used?

  2. Is RSLinx used ONLY when interfacing Allen-Bradley PLCs with each other, or when interfacing Allen-Bradley PLCs with RSView32? (I worked on a job in
2000 where RSLinx ran in the background, an Allen-Bradley PLC sent analog data to a computer for trending and datalogging, and RSView32 was the HMI used for this aspect of the job.) Next question, on a related tangent:

  1. If someone wanted to use RSView32 with a non-Allen Bradley PLC, would RSLinx still be used?

  2. And does RSView32 come with a full set of drivers to let one interface it with different brands of PLCs?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Reply to
M. Hamill

Mike,

Take a look at the Ingear and other OPC Servers at Software Toolbox

It's the easiest way to hook Brand-X PLC to Brand-Y HMI

Also, take a look at GraphWorX32 from ICONICS. It's by FAR the best HMI on the planet from a price/performance standpoint. Free Development and evaluation software.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Sulzer

Totally agree with you here. OPC is the industry standard for hooking Brand-X PLC to Brand-Y HMI and is vastly more versatile and simple to configure then any other option.

Have to disagree with you here. WEB-FAQtory,

is far and away the best HMI on the planet from a price/performance standpoint (but then I'm biased, I wrote it)

John

Reply to
John Burch

Yes. A *free* "lite" version is supplied with all of their software that needs to communicate with one of their PLCs. Think of it as a "gateway" between *any* RS software on your machine and the PLC network..

Whenever you use a "Rockwell Software" software package that require communications with the PLC/network. Other software (eg. third-party SCADA packages) can either use RSLinx or communicate directly.

RSView32 requires RSLinx to communicate with the PLC. RSLinx normally runs in the background.

With the latest versions of RSView - not necessarily. RSView would most likely use a third-party OPC Server, installed on the machine instead of RSLinx to perform essentailly the same function.

A "full" set? No. If it did, there would be no need for other SCADA packages, would there?? ;-)

Have a read of:

HTH, Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

Mike...Pl. go through my response:-

So I have a few questions: 1. Am I right about this? RSLinx is RS' network config. & mgmt. software? Ans: No RsLinx is used to connect to PLC/RsView only. For RsNetwoks you require RsNetwoxs. Its a different software. 2. When using Allen-Bradley PLCs, when MUST RSLinx be used? Ans: For communicating its a MUST!. 3. Is RSLinx used ONLY when interfacing Allen-Bradley PLCs with each other, or when interfacing Allen-Bradley PLCs with RSView32? (I worked on a job in 2000 where RSLinx ran in the background, an Allen-Bradley PLC sent analog data to a computer for trending and datalogging, and RSView32 was the HMI used for this aspect of the job.) Next question, on a related tangent: Ans: RsLinx comes if different versions if you require only communication with PLC then entry level Linx Lite would do and if you wish to interface RsView with PLC then You require professional or Gateway version of it. 4. If someone wanted to use RSView32 with a non-Allen Bradley PLC, would RSLinx still be used? Ans: No, you will have to use OPC in this case. 5. And does RSView32 come with a full set of drivers to let one interface it with different brands of PLCs? Ans: Its OPC compliant.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I hope this helps u in some else email me on snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com i will send you the detailed specs on RsLinx. Thanks and regards. Patrick

Reply to