Street lighting infrastructure design

hi,

Could our team give rough ideal how to design infrastructure of street lighting by assuming;

  1. type or model of street lighting.
  2. Luminare selection c/w calculation.
  3. Voltage drop with referred to nominal voltage allowed.
  4. suitable distance between each pole.
  5. maximum nos of poles connected to each feeder pillar.
  6. others if necessary.

need to know installation in your country.

tks

magic

Reply to
magic

what does voltage drop have to do with lighting? your number 3 what is the voltage used?

distance between poles is different for different fixtures and wattages. What is the design criteria that your looking to have?

Call some lighting manufactures of pole lights and get their design booklets. They all have charts that you can use by lamp wattage, height, or lumens on the ground.

Home work ??????

Reply to
SQLit

Well, in the UK...

Just about everything, except carbon arcs, filament lamps and fluorescent tubes are now all retired. Still some gas mantle lamps in parts of London -- they are protected by preservation orders and can't be removed.

New lighting is pretty much all high pressure sodium. Some town centres use metal halide for prestiege areas.

Lots of mercury vapour and low pressure sodium in use, but I don't think they are ever installed new now.

4% is max voltage drop allowed in cable.

Depends on pole spacing/height ratio for the luminare and the required illumination.

I don't know if there is a max. Where there is a dedicated supply (e.g. motorways), I think 100 poles is typical, but it's really limited by voltage drop in the cable (length to most distant pole), and not by the number of poles. At a major motorway intersection, there might well be many times this number.

Feeder pillars are not that common here. More commonly, the poles are each separately tapped into the street distribution network used by all other electricity consumers.

Many years ago, series connected streetlamps were used in some towns. The town I was born and brought up in, Reading, was using them until ~30 years ago. The control centre was in the basement of Reading's old town hall with meters showing the current and voltage on each series loop. (The town hall has been done up since then, and I doubt that gear would still be there -- certainly the lights it ran have all long since been replaced -- they were mostly 400W mercury vapour lamps.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

hi,

Thanks to andrew and SQL for your nice explaination. at least i have got some ideal from your country.

tks

magic

Reply to
magic