this is more of an inquiry i've always wondered about since I fed a fork to an outlet when I was three.

Humor me, I've always wondered what would happen if you took an extension cord and put two male ends on it then plugged em into different outlets and fired up the power remotely.

Reply to
Clay Smith

You have a 50/50 chance nothing will happen but if you do get them on opposite phases you will have a "bolted" 240v short and the breaker should open. Expect a pretty loud pop. If you don't watch the polarity of the connection in your plugs the odds of a fault rise to 3:1. Two ways for 120v faults and one 240v fault with the 4th posibility being "nothing".

c>Humor me, I've always wondered what would happen if you took an

Reply to
Greg

It could create a singularity in the space-time continuum, located at

173+/-12% Angstrom from the end of the extension cord. If you are really unlucky, this singularity could blossom into a micro black-hole that slowly but surely will swallow up all matter to the point to wipe out the planet. Nothing will be left of Earth, just emptiness, an ever expanding event horizon and a tiny black-hole created by you. Please, for humanity's sake, don't do it!
Reply to
Gene

On 02 Sep 2004 04:38:06 GMT Greg wrote: | You have a 50/50 chance nothing will happen but if you do get them on opposite | phases you will have a "bolted" 240v short and the breaker should open. Expect | a pretty loud pop. | If you don't watch the polarity of the connection in your plugs the odds of a | fault rise to 3:1. | Two ways for 120v faults and one 240v fault with the 4th posibility being | "nothing". | | c>Humor me, I've always wondered what would happen if you took an |>extension cord and put two male ends on it then plugged em into |>different outlets and fired up the power remotely.

This isn't the extension cord experiment, but it could give some people pause to think about what it might be doing:

phil-news-nospam

And besides that, it'll smell like burning plastic.

Reply to
AJW

Sweet, another of life's mysteries solved. Thanks.

Clay

Reply to
Clay Smith

But will it taste like chicken?