Auto alternators and small engines.

If I was spinning up a car alternator with a small engine, say 5HP, what size alternator (amps) should I expect to be able to run?

Reply to
Greg

It depends from the alternator specification. An alternator for a small car can deliver 35 A max., while, for a fully equipped SUV, well above 120A.

Reply to
Gene

A 5 Hp engine develops about 3700 watts. At 13.8 volts this would come out to 270 amps. Neither number takes into account any inefficiency.

Reply to
Edd

So you think 100a would work OK?

Reply to
Greg

You shouldn't have to worry about the engine stalling with 100 watts.

Reply to
Edd

more like 1400w

Reply to